Friday, March 02, 2012

Shelby Update: A Confessional


This is Shelby.  She is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.  She is also our dog.  Our first dog.  Puppy, actually.  She is 7 months old.  Despite the picture she is actually shaping up to be a pretty good dog.  I feel like we've had her for...ever, but it has only been 4 months.  The hardest part about this dog is getting Dr. Gooch to fall in love with her.  Because, Shelby already loves Dr. Gooch.  She loves him so much that she pees a little every time he shows her attention.  Dr. Gooch is my hero, because he only agreed to a dog because of the larceny.  Remember the larceny?  He's my hero because he is doing his best to love what he doesn't love.  Dr. Gooch is an ER physician.  So Dr. Gooch sees people who have been bitten unprovoked by dogs.

There have been a few times when I've been on the verge of giving this dog away.  Not because I don't love her, because I do, but I love Dr. Gooch way more.

The thing is.  I'm committed (seems the theme for me this year) to training her into adulthood.  Then, I promised Dr. Gooch, we'll reassess.


This dog makes me laugh.  She looks like a muppet, first of all, and she loves the rascals to pieces.  To. Pieces.  Seth especially loves Shelby these days.  You can often see the two of them romping out back with the soccer ball (or his socks).  And Hazel is more affectionate with her than any of us.  Hazel and 
Shelby are bosom buddies.


She is outside most of the time.  She has her own little "house" out on the screen porch and a fenced backyard.  She's a lucky dog.  But, when Dr. Gooch is working nights I bring her inside and she keeps cozy company.  The best is that she hear's any little noise, even the one's that I miss, and she stands at attention, still as a mouse, ready to secure the premises.

No one can resist a Griff face.

Not even Dr. Gooch.

He's even talking about training her up as his hunting companion.  She's a bird dog, after all.

7 comments:

madsta said...

oh she's gorgeous, I don't think I could bear for you to give her away!- our last dog, panda, is older than I am, she's just over 18 now, very senile, and so far, refusing to die, but I know when she does, I'll be heartbroken, dogs are just so lovely :)

Kurt Knudsen said...

That is one cute dog!

Brooke said...

I love your Shelby posts. I love them because Shelby is outrageously handsome, but also because they reign in my outrageous desire to have a puppy of my own. I said goodbye to my 16 year old dog two years ago, and I miss her so much. I want to replace her. Badly. I want a dog that cuddles with me while I read, who keeps me comany in the kitchen while I bake, and who keeps in step with me when I go walking.

But I don't have the inclination for the soccer balls, or the eaten welcome mats. The thing about puppies is that they are a total package, yes? I want the companionship but not the potty training; the fluffy softness without the shedding. I want the picture of life with a dog without living out the messy parts. :-)

But I'm certain I'm missing something by choosing life on Easy Street. Something outrageously handsome, in a slightly infuriating, yet satisfying kind of way.

I applaud your commitment. :-)

Ann said...

That's hilarious she pees when Craig shows her attention! She has gotten so big and cute.

LCFrohm said...

if you reassess and she doesn't fit your family's picture....please think of me. i love dogs and would love to add shelby to my brood of dogs (1 jack russell and 1 beagle...both NOLA dogs).

The Original Mangums said...

I sure want to meet Shelby, she is so cute. Craig loved Sugar (our dog of 13 years)hope he changes his mind about Shelby. Kids need a pet,dogs are great fun and such good company for them. Good Luck!

Rebekah V. said...

Maybe I should get a dog...or two...hmmmm....

ps. we are really enjoying the xbox