Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Eliza, Our Only Only Child

We've never met her.  We've never even seen her.  But, we know a lot about her.  She is Eliza.  Avery's imaginary friend and the first ever in our household.

She has monopolized the mind of our mini-est Mangum.  Between constantly begging to "go over to Eliza's house" we have gleaned some info about this friend of Avery's.

She is "the best girl in the world."
She is in high school.
She doesn't have any brothers or sisters.
Her Dad wears a blue shirt and brown pants and has black hair.
Her favorite foods are bananas, oranges, and gingerbread houses.
And she likes to do whatever Avery happens to be doing at that very moment.

I tell Avery that we can't go over to Eliza's house because I don't know where she lives (a very reasonable excuse, I thought).

"Yes you do!", she protests.  "She lives at 16 in the house by the flowers."  In fact, one day we were making a routine trip to Costco.  I had all four kids in the car, and suddenly Avery shouts, "We just passed Eliza's house!" What was funny is all of us whipped our heads around to catch a glimpse of the residence of this mysterious child.

"You missed it", remarked Avery at our craning necks.

Avery regularly fills us in on the details of Eliza's life and answers all our questions about her.  I'm amused by this exercise and even more amused that her siblings seem to go along with it.  Hazel, I think, is convinced that this is a real person of whom she will someday soon make the acquaintance.

Actually, I'm started to think that is the case, too...

13 comments:

The Baker's Goods said...

How entertaining and cute! It reminds me of you, didn't you have an imaginary friend named Elizabeth?

Kurt Knudsen said...

I MISS AVERY!

Tanya said...

Have you read the very darling "Imagine Harry" by Kate & Sarah Klise? I think Avery would love it...

Vhari said...

I just found out last night that Genevieve has an imaginary friend named Lizzie. I thought she was old enough that we had sadly missed the imaginary friend stage. I guess not.

Arbon Family said...

So funny! Austin used to have 2 imaginary friends. It got so out of control! He has since forgotten about them but for a year they lived in our house and he was sure of it! LOVE AVERY!

TX Girl said...

Lulu had a friend named Addie. She was her constant companion. Although she lived with us, not at another house. We should have played along with her a bit more to garner information. She still pops up every now and then, but not nearly enough.

Panooch said...

I love it and I love Avery. When can I see you?

Rebecca said...

I'm sad I never had an imaginary friend like Avery, because I was lonely as a child. Darn.

Evie said...

An imaginary friend is a wonderful thing.

LCFrohm said...

i love that she has a "special" friend. and i love even more that you and yours...foster that imagination. it's an amazing thing. love y'all!

k a t y said...

Divine had 3 when she was little: Maya, Gong-gong, and Friendless. Hehe, I still chuckle about it.

Heidi said...

Lizzy had many imaginary friends: Jurner, Lala, Mr. Pleatman. They were around for many years but they stayed in California when we moved. I think it's adorable and it definitely keeps them entertained!

The Original Mangums said...

Laurie had an imaginary friend named KeKe, she lived in the wall of our front room and went everywhere with Laurie. When we moved to El Paso KeKe did not go with us, we surely did miss her!
Good for Avery, friends are so nice to have around!