Monday, January 09, 2012



I started 2012 on a very literal wrong foot.  In 2011, I brought a dog into our lives.  I'm committed to raising her to be a really good and loyal family pet.  There have been bumps along the way.  One of those was when she came barreling up behind me, her full inertia and body weight hitting my lower right leg bending the foot under itself injuring my ankle.

Ouch.

I forgave her.  But, on the first day of 2012, I put on heels (because it was Sunday) and Dr. Gooch told me the kids had made something really cute down in the basement.  So I marched my still-weak ankle tucked in a towering heel down the stairs and tumbled all the way down.

Double Ouch.

The reinjury of the ankle was so much worse than the injury.  It was the first fall in my thirty four years from which I haven't recovered instantly.

Dr. Gooch carried me to the couch and wrapped my ankle will an ice pack, which made it hurt worse so I made him take it off.  The rascals crowded around the drama.  Company would be arriving in an hour.  Lucy suggested a prayer which she gave.

Among other things, "Bless that mom will walk again.", was what she offered in great earnestness.  Lucy knows prayers work.

And it did.  I'm walking.  But certainly not running and I haven't forgiven myself yet.

For taking advantage of the limberness of my twenties and early thirties.  For not running all those days when I could run because of laziness.  For putting a heel on a weak heel.  For underestimating the love and tenderness of my children.

So, though last year I scratched out 33 resolutions for the new year (13 of which were accomplished), this year, I only have a handful and they apply to all parts of me, not just my ankle.

To heal quickly.
To run a lot.
To forgive everyone.
To pray often.

Amen.




8 comments:

Audrey said...

This is a beautiful post. Quite possibly the best resolution post ever.

B said...

I agree with Audrey.

The Original Mangums said...

Very worthy and worthwhile goals! I know you can accomplish them, and knowing you, you will! Hope the ankle gets better very soon! Love you!

Kurt Knudsen said...

restorative resolutions.
hope your heel heals

Kurt Knudsen said...

Beautiful. Here's to a healthy new year!

Ben said...

So sorry about the injuries! Double ouch. Love the resolutions.

Alyssa said...

Love it! Wish you lived closer so we could motivate each other with the running, it is on my list too!

Tasha said...

I love it! I will pray for you too that you will heal quickly and that we will both be able to run a lot!