Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Human Society


We all hate the dog but I also love her.  Love/hate.  Sometimes I think she's more human than all of us.  Maybe not more human, but she behaves more like humans should.  She has such simple and pure, uncontaminated reactions.  We mess ours up with manipulation, selfishness, anxiety, and pride.  Big Pride.  I'm grateful for Shelby because she took me out on the lawn to pee tonight at 9:30.  While we were there an unseasonably warm wind kicked up and we both lifted our chins up so our eyes could follow its trail, which ended up right in the stars which were also mixed with brown pin oak leaves trickling down on us like confetti celebrating our attention to the moment.  She bit at the leaves and I breathed deep, short-sleeved on Thanksgiving week.  Shelby just wants to be loved and given some attention.  Which is hard, really hard, when she poops in her crate at 3am and has to have a bath.  Then she goes and sticks her salt n' pepper nose on the edge of the couch and looks at you until you look at her, then she gives you a huge puppy sigh.  I think I'll try that trick with Dr. Gooch.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I hated every dog I have ever owned for the first year. It is really, really hard. All you can remember is how pleasant life was without na dog. Then one day all of a sudden everything just sort of clicks and you can't imagine your life without the dog in it. Then if you are some sort of glutton for punishment, like I am, you get another and another and then you end up with three noses pointed at you :-)

Jordan said...

Wendy, I'm so glad to hear that!! I feel so mean that I sometimes hate her. But, man oh man!

Kurt Knudsen said...

so who took whom out to pee on the lawn?

Kelly J. R. said...

When we adopted our border collie, Buster, the lady at the humane society said, "He's going to make you really mad sometimes but everything will work out okay." So very true. There are moments when I don't even want to look at him because I'm so disgusted but then there are those moments that he rests his head on my lap and gives me those eyes and I can't imagine life without him.

Ann said...

I love puppy sighs. Hope things get better and easier for you.

jodie said...

Wow!