Monday, September 05, 2011

Give In


I ran away from my troubles this weekend.  A husband playing hooky out west meant a long labor day weekend for a still worried and watchful wife.  I called a friend who found she too was spouse less for a spell and we combined our company to make six rascals and a couple craving camaraderie.

It was meant to be.

Only an hour and a half away from our home, I found in hers, the best night's sleep I'd had in months.  Plus a nearly constant conversation in the kitchen.  While our offspring busied themselves with treasure hunts, domino chains, dress ups, and bowl after bowl of macaroni and cheese.

It was just what I needed.

I baked a cake for the first time since early spring at least.  We decided over and over again that one must just give in.

Just give in.

That is my new mantra.  I came home to a house and found it just as I left it.  Sigh.  There were a dozen eggs in the coop and all six chickens roosting for the night (two still in the trees that are too fast to get their wings clipped).  The rain tonight encouraged the new peas, spring onions, cabbage, broccoli, beets, lettuce and radishes to reach a little higher.

Give into your life.  Give into the laundry and the dishes.  But also the darlings and the doldrums.  Give into the fatigue.  Give into the restlessness.  Give into the ecstasy and the endless energy of the 8 and under crowd.  Give in, at once, to the unexpected and the everyday.  Just give in.

*Photo courtesy of Ann, my sister who moved to Qatar in the Middle East last month.  She writes beautifully of giving in to motherhood.  

6 comments:

sauter signs off said...

This was a beautiful post. I clipped out the article about your daughter from the Mormon Times... finally I grabbed a minute to add you to my list of blogs to check out. Blessings to you my sister!

Tasha said...

I've been struggling with this exact thing. Just surrendering to it all. Can't wait to talk to you in person...

Ann said...

Glad you got away and glad you're giving in. I wish I could drive down and stay the nights with you--maybe in a couple of years? But by then your puppy will be a dog and a guard dog at that.

Love you and thanks for the kind words.

Jessica said...

What a great reminder, to just give in. :) I'm glad things are going better for you and your family. I send my love and prayers your way.

Kurt Knudsen said...

So true! We are not in charge. He is.

The Original Mangums said...

I have given in to the Louisiana DMV, so frustrating, IF LIFE WAS EASY IT WOULDN'T BE HARD! I'm ready for a little easy! Glad you had a "get away" while Craig was gone, I worried about you.