Tuesday, August 09, 2011

A Stitch in Time...


Lucy had all her stitches removed yesterday.  As Dr. Z was plucking away, she kept crying, "Only one more!!  Only do one more!! Then that's all!!"  But there were at least 30, maybe more--that we could see; maybe twice that below the surface.   Her leg looks so good staying together on its own merits now.


She cheered up right quick.  A new splint was put on top of her shin, from below the knee to her toes instead of from halfway up her thigh.  She thrilled at the discovery that she could bend her leg after 20 days keeping it extended.


The splint holds her foot in plantar flexion so her achilles tendon can continue to heal.  She is not even able to lift it into dorsiflexion yet.  This is where physical therapy comes in.  That will begin in a week.  

These little milestones are like gold to Lucy. Watching her face light up as she slowly brings her right knee to her chest, as she figures out how to get up the stairs or from the table to the couch without crutches or chair, these are my milestones.

I underestimated the effects that witnessing my child become the chew tow of a wild sea creature would have on me.  In other words, this shark attack freaked me out.  I swept the floor yesterday.  A huge pile formed and I realized I hadn't swept it since being home from the hospital.  What?!  Gross.  I prepared a tasty nutritious dinner for my family today: roasted cauliflower, tomato soup, homemade breaded chicken tenders, and crusty bread.  I went out for a run this evening.  Dr. Gooch mowed the lawn.  Many "firsts since" in these last three weeks.  Has it really only been three weeks?  It has taken that long to get mobilized again.  To whip this family (mostly its parents) back into shape.  A new school year is upon us.  We have not gotten here without many many hands holding us up.

These milestones pass, like removing one stitch at a time.  But, we know that it is He who gives us our merit and lends us the strength to move beyond fear to function.  





*post-edit, just stumbled upon this sharkmania

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Relieved from Reston to see those pictures! First time I have seen Lucy cry for three weeks! Counting many blessings up north.

Heidi said...

Brave little Lucy. It was great seeing her and you guys. I don't know if it's the plastic surgeon's wife in me or what to comment on this (please forgive me) but, DANG, that incision looks amazing! Way to go Dr. Z!

kelly said...

wow, her leg looks amazing. such a uniquely spiritual experience to document and remember. thanks for sharing.
"He who gives us our merits and lends us the strength to move beyond fear to function"
i love this.

the rutledge's- said...

Amazing post Jordan. Glad things are on the up for Lucy, and for your family.

amy gretchen said...

Its crazy when you finally start feeling the normalcy of life creep up on you and it hits you--- you've been away for a while. I am glad you are bouncing back, I can only imagine how emotional this was for everyone. Sending lots of love & continuing healing thoughts your way. You amaze me!

Jessica said...

Sigh. My first reaction to the news of Lucy's shark bite was absolute horror, naturally, but then my thoughts turned immediately to YOU. Kids are resilient and amazing and quick to forget and forgive. It's more complicated for the parents--especially considering what you witnessed. I'm so glad you are experiencing these happy and well, mundane "firsts since"! Yay!

Jenny Dahl said...

Those stitches are going from her leg straight to your heart. Soon you'll be healed. All of you. Sending prayers and love.

Smiley Blogger! said...

One word, absolute inspiration!

Amy Lynne said...

SO good! I am so glad you all are getting back into your groove! I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!

motherof5 said...

So pleased she is healing.

Mary Ann said...

Jordan, you and Lucy are the third and fourth generations of the Clark family that have continued to have a profound influence on my life through your example, faith and love for the Savior. Lucy is so brave and blessed to have you as her mother! After spending 30 years in a hospital, I know the little milestones will continue until one great destiny is reached. Thank you for having the courage to share your remarkable story! Give Lucy a kiss for me. Will continue to remember her in my prayers.

Mary Ann Young