Monday, July 11, 2011

Use Up Those Fresh Garden Veggies

We don't eat a lot of meat.  It's not that I don't want to, or that we don't buy it, it is just...something happens and it just doesn't work out.  Like last week, I took out a 1/2 pound of ground chuck from the freezer to thaw in the the fridge.  Then, for the next several days, each time I opened the fridge I would stare at that little ugly mass of reddish meat, suspicious of its intentions.  Then, I'd close the fridge.  Another day would pass and I still would not have thought of anything appetizing to do with this protein-rich, perfectly fine product, and I would scrunch my nose at it's changing color.  More brown than red now.  Then, in disgust I would throw it out wary of the effects it may have on me and my children.  Such a waste.  I'm looking to reform.

This is not the case with vegetables.  Vegetables, to me, are sacred.  Especially vegetables I've grown myself.  They can be within inches of their life and I will still find a way to saute, puree, or roast them into something edible.  Vegetables are safe.

In their honor, this week, I'm posting recipes on Sweat Bread that use the fresh produce from your veggie garden or local farmer's market.  Cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, hot and sweet peppers...

Today, Cucumber Gazpacho with Spicy Crab.  Check it out.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I know exactly what you mean.