Sunday, July 24, 2011

Her Name Is Summer Flowers


She is a nurse and crew member for East Care air lift services.  She stayed with Lucy in the helicopter when we couldn't.  Summer came to visit yesterday at the hospital to see how she was doing.  Lucy literally put on a brave face before getting on board the helicopter and was nervous to leave us behind.  But, Mrs. Flowers described our little passenger as chatty!  What?!  I couldn't help but probe further.

Summer said as they were making small talk Lucy pronounced, "You know...this is the first time I've ever been bitten by a shark."

She said the scariest part of the ride was the landing and as they began to "go down", Summer said she looked around her and asked, "Who's driving this thing?"

When they landed near the trauma bay, Lucy offered some advice, "When we get in there, tell them they DON'T have to open it (her leg) up, they can just do an x-ray."

She told Summer, "I miss my mom.  I like you, but I really miss my mom."

We like Summer, too.  And we are glad she could be there.

13 comments:

kera said...

.....that gave me chills...your little lucy's bravery & that she had a very sweet nurse to take care of her in the interim of being without the 2 people who love her most.

Arvada 6th Ward said...

Such a sweet story. We have been praying for your family. Today Elijah said "please help that little girl whose leg got bited by a shark"

the rutledge's- said...

That gave us a good laugh! What a sweet little girl.

Lisa said...

I only know you through your blog, but could not believe this story belongs to your family. I'm praying for you and Lucy and hope she stays in good spirits!

Ann said...

That Lucy! We sure love her!

buddens said...

that is so adorable. what a fantastic kid!

The Original Mangums said...

We are so proud of her! Being alone in that situation would not be easy for anyone, much less a 6 year old! She's a sweetheart!

k a t y said...

How fun for Lucy to be able to visit with her again. Our prayers are still coming your way. Love you all so.

robin said...

i am a long-time reader of your blog and just got in from out of town and found your shark story in my reader. i couldn't believe it!

what a miracle.

Tasha said...

So good to hear your voice yesterday Jo. We love you guys and you are all in our prayers. Luce, your family, the nurses and her doctors, and especially tender mercies like Summer Flowers. How is that for being looked out for? :)

Natasha said...

That's awesome you were able to see Summer again. I know after Luci's accident it was healing for us to bring cookie cake to the firemen who transported her to the hospital and to write notes to her favorite PICU nurses.

Kelly J. R. said...

I thank God that there are people brave enough to face accidents and trauma on a daily basis. Emergency workers are truly angels on Earth. I'm praying for your daughter's speedy recovery. What a tough little cookie!

STEFFIEJ said...

I JUST CAME ACROSS YOUR BLOG VIA SEEING THIS LINK ON FACEBOOK FROM THE MOTHER OF SUMMER..I HOPE IT'S OKAY THAT I STOP BY TO COMMENT..WHAT A HEART WRENCHING STORY..I WAS JUST SITTING HERE WITH TEARS AS I READ THIS..SO GLAD YOUR LIL' GIRL IS OKAY AND HER LEG WAS ABLE TO BE SAVED..PRAISE THE LORD!! I KNOW YOU PROBABLY ALREADY HAVE BUT PLEASE TELL HER HOW MANY PEOPLE THINK SHE IS SOOOO BRAVE..I WOULD HAVE BEEN SCARED TO FLY TOO..ESPECIALLY IF I WERE HER AGE AND DIDN'T HAVE MY FAMILY TO GO WITH ME..WE LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN THAT SUMMER IS FROM..SHE ACTUALLY WAS MY HUSBANDS NURSE IN THE ER RIGHT BEFORE SHE GOT MARRIED..FOR HIM, HE HAD ONLY PULLED A MUSCLE IN HIS LOWER BACK..BUT I KNOW FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE HOW AWESOME SUMMER WAS AND SHE MADE OUR STAY IN THE ER SOOOOO MUCH MORE TOLERABLE..I THINK YOUR POST ON HER WAS SUPER SWEET..AND I KNOW YOU ARE TRULY THANKFUL SHE WAS THERE TO BE WITH LUCY THE WHOLE FLIGHT THERE..WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU ALL OVER THIS LENGTHY RECOVERY..JUST VERY THANKFUL YOUR LIL' GIRL IS OKAY..AND WHAT A WAKE UP CALL FOR US OTHER MAMAS WHO HAVE NOT GIVEN MUCH THOUGHT TO A SHARK BITING YOU IN SUCH SHALLOW WATER..THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR SWEET POST WITH US...STEPHANIE