Friday, June 03, 2011

The Years Leap On


When I choose a photo to upload here in this space, my archives bring up all the photos I've taken since the present day, last year.  A year's worth of photos.  

Let me talk about this for a minute.  Because I find it interesting  that the photos from one year ago are nearly always the same photos I'm taking today.  The dahlias, lilies and yarrow blooming, sandy shots of our babes on the outer banks, backyard blow up pool parties, food and gatherings.

In these photographs are found also a sprinkling of special events.  Hazel's broken arm last June, my parents moving in with us, the hottest summer on record.  But all in all we do the same things over and over again.  Every year, every month, every day it is as if we live in perpetual dress rehearsal for some great performance.  

I'm beginning to understand that that great performance is family.  That IS the thing.  The thing is family.  That is why we do it over and over and over and then over again.  


4 comments:

Ingrid said...

My absolute favorite post to date! :) Please do share where you found your table, chair, and bench. Love it!

Jordan said...

Ingrid, the chairs, table, and bench were an outdoor set from IKEA.

Rebecca said...

So glad to be a part of your family.

The Original Mangums said...

Me Too!