Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Rope Swing

photo by Dr. Gooch

Yesterday, I came across a picture of two people jumping off a huge cliff.  They were midair, limbs flailing, thrill stretched across their faces as they watched the water approach below.  I studied it longingly.  I thought of my limbo days between college and high school.  Between growing up and being a child.  When the weather finally got hot and school was out we would make our way up Provo Canyon to the rope swing that hovered above cool river water rushing down from the mountains.

I don't ever want to go back to that age.  I'm glad I've paid the dues of decisions made that put me safely where I am today.  But I miss those carefree days.

These days are care-full.  As my painting predicts each morning I am roused by one of four rascals and their own terms.  A few hours before dawn, the 3-year-old had come in wet from a midnight accident.  She was stripped and sent back to bed.  So, when the sun rose she came demanding clothes.  Dr. Gooch was the hero and dragged his sleepy body out of bed to tend to the needs beginning to fill the new day.  I lay there listening to the downstairs commotion.  I stretched.  I rolled over and saw my bedside table book. Suddenly all I wanted was to stay in that bed all day and read that book.  To leave the cares piling at the bottom of the steps to fend for themselves while I lay in limbo.

But, I didn't.  I got up.  I stood at the top of the stairway steadying myself on the banister.  Perched, as if on a rope above the activity swirling below me like cool river water rushing down from the mountains.

And suddenly I had nothing left to long for.  More thrill than I could ever want each day pulls me from sleep and swings me screaming with delight through the wonder of what life as turned up for me.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yes, yes, yes. You DO have a thrilling life. WHOOPEE!

Jessica said...

Totally. I don't EVER want to go back to that age but I do miss how 'carefree' those days were. Kid chaos is crazy fun.

The Original Mangums said...

Beautifully said!

Kurt Knudsen said...

And those kids can be as breathtakingly refreshing as that splash in the river!

Ingrid said...

I love your tablecloth. Did you paint/stamp it? And is it long sheets of white paper? Is that paper from IKEA? I am so curious! You are alway so creative.

Carol said...

Just wanted you to know that I think you look beautiful in that photograph.

Jordan said...

Ingrid, this is at my parents home. Yes, my Dad stamped the "tablecloth" which is made of paper, just sheets of paper they use to wrap and ship their stars in. So creative, yes!

sara b said...

Jo,

These last two posts have been delightful reads and good reminders for me.

Thank you for that.

Sara B

Tasha said...

I love that picture of you!

Ann said...

It makes me so happy that you are so happy!