Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jaw Jewelry


 1-2-3!!  Yank!

 This was the method used when I was a trembling six-year-old with a few loose teeth.



My daughter Lucy, discussed it lengthily with her grandfather and agreed to this very same method.  She was so brave.  At least the pliers were pink.


It hurt, but only for a moment, just like he said it would.


Then, there's the shock of those raw empty spaces in your mouth.  It feels so weird.  But it's all worth it for the promise of gain from the mysterious, often forgetful, tooth fairy.  But, not for Lucy.  In true Lucy fashion


... she would forfeit the meager change under a pillow, for the dazzling trophy around her neck.


She just happens to have a grandmother with a stockpile of glass and a soldering iron...


... who also obliges to make little wishes like this come true.

10 comments:

Hammy said...

That awesome necklace is WAY better than a token from some fairy.

Heidi said...

No way - that is so neat!! She was so brave to let her grand dad pull them out with those BIG plyers! Way to go Lucy!

buddens said...

i would have loved something like that! so cool! your mom should sell them! i actually cried one time after the tooth fairy came and took one of my teeth. i had changed my mind and wanted it back. good thing my parents had an in with said fairy and the tooth was magically back the next night.

mama @ you are my heart said...

such a good idea. my mom had to hold me down on the bathroom floor to pull my teeth. after one particularly difficult extraction, she just flushed it down the toilet and i sobbed. the tooth fairy gave me a penny.

Rebekah V. said...

too cool!

Kurt Knudsen said...

Brave Lucy!
Smart Lucy!
Creative Lucy!
-the Grampa

Jenny Dahl said...

My grandpa always pulled out my teeth too!
Any chance I could hire grandma to make a few more of those beauties. I absolutely love it!!
I'm serious Jordan.

The Original Mangums said...

Looks painful to me! My Grandad always pulled my teeth but with a string. Lucy, you were mighty brave!

Ann said...

Ha ha! I'm loving it.

merathon said...

whoa, that is one tough little cookie. i remember my dad asking me if i wanted him to use the pliers to yank out my teeth, but that always encouraged me to get it out myself!