Thursday, April 07, 2011

1 Confident Child: A Two-Part Recipe



How does one go about raising confident children?  Or rather raising confidence in children?  Between a few wise friends and one wise mother I think I've nailed it down (which is a far cry from infiltrating our patterns and habits with this wisdom).  And...nailing anything down in parenting, well, that's worth sharing.  Here goes, literally, my two cents.

1.  Give your children opportunity to contribute to the family.  Also known as: work!  Good old fashioned work.  However that happens, job charts, lists, or jars.  I know someone who's mother, when she ran out of jobs, would dump dirt onto the floor of the garage for her sons to sweep up.

2.  Teach them how to recognize the spirit of the Lord whispering guidance into their little, soon to be BIG lives.  When it happens, yell, "That's it!  That's it!" And for heaven's sake let them make choices as soon as possible, right?  Cheerios or shredded wheat?  Shorts or pants?  Practice the piano or do your math?

That's it!!  I better get to it.  Good luck, all you sexy parents out there!

7 comments:

Ann said...

Great advice! MD's confidence soared today as she learned how to help by giving Clark his pacifier.

Rebekah V. said...

When you have a budget as meager as mine two cents is a gold mine. eureka! Now i just have to spend some of the fortune today.

Michelle said...

I love this post because I'm always hoping to raise confident children. I asked a friend, who has a beautiful friendship/relationship with her seven kids who- some of them teens, how she does it and she told me to listen to what your children are telling you- everything you possibly can. When they feel like they have a good amount of attention then they feel secure which breeds confidence.
I agree with the work thing. I think that's the best.

buddens said...

love this. i took a class on parenting with love and logic recently and we discussed many of the same sentiments. love it, love it, love it.

ha! my word verification word is "swoon" - perfect!

Heidi said...

Love ya, Jordan! He he :)

Tasha said...

WE've been trying to do this. The girls love getting dimes in their jars for helping without being asked, for doing their tasks period. Even Stella clears the table and can set it (to some extent).

I love when you share parenting discoveries....

Lizzy said...

Thanks for the advice friend! I love reminders of what I should be teaching my children.