Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Averies


My parents threatened to move to the South of France (and give us all sweaters and teach us how to dance).  It actually wasn't a threat.  It is a dream, spoken only half in jest, I'm sure.  One that I hope they can fulfill whether in France or Fayeteville.  But secretly, I feel threatened.  Because?  How could they.

"But think how fun it would be to visit us!"  Yes.  It would be all kinds of fun, the one time we could afford to visit.  Then I began to think of how, even at 33, I am tying them down.  Then I began to get this haunting feeling that my children really are lifelong commitments.  What?!  You mean, there is no such thing as an empty nest?  You mean...there will always be strings?  I glimpsed it in the eyes of Avery while she sat in front of my camera.

She posed her own threat, "Mom, I will have little Averies that will be (if you can imagine) even cuter and wittier that me.  And it will kill you to be more than a block away from their buck teeth and lispy lips.  Kill you, I tell you."

I gasped and realized that Dr. Gooch and I have been making plans.  Big plans, all along.  Even as far back as when baby Seth arrived freshly birthed home to our bungalow by the tracks down in New Orleans.  South-of-France sort of plans.  They involve things like giant white sails, foreign food, and treks across entire ranges of mountains.  Not too mention deep sea diving.  These plans have, in the back of their minds, four grown adult children who are safely tucked away for eternity in their own families.

So, to the parents who freshly birthed me home to their bungalow in Duarte, CA, I release you from any strings.  MOVE to the South of France!!  Because, it was from you two dremderers (dreamers and wanderers mixed) that I grew my own wings then up and married a dreamer of my own.

Maybe down the hall is too close.  But maybe France is too far.  Maybe Maine?  But, I'm starting to dream of those Averies, the Sethies, too, and Little Lucy Lus, and pint-sized Hazelies...and wondering if sweaters and dance moves are really worth it in the end.  ;)

7 comments:

olivia said...

LOVE-LOVE.

Rebecca said...

I laughed. I cried. I know. Children are the best! It is I that is attaching the strings!

barbaraleigh said...

This is so beautiful...I am new to your blog and am really enjoying resonating with your expression. Thanks for giving me words. Blessings on your transitions.

Bunsy said...

Oh, how could you Jordan? You must let them go. Maybe I just don't know how wonderful they are. I'm sure I don't. But don't your dreams give you fuel to keep going each day with your little ones? At least your parents have dreams. My parents have failed to launch and are afraid to reach for theirs. It's nice to see your family grow. Even though I don't know them, their pictures help me remember that my family is growing up too. Too fast.

The Original Mangums said...

Strings are hard to untie and not meant to be untied completely. We love our children (all ten of them), they are a part of us and even though they are far away, the love does not diminish. Dreams are wonderful, something to look forward to, something to work for, and sometimes to be achieved. Don't let go of them, and some of them will come to pass. We love you!

sara b said...

This is my favorite of all the posts you've ever written!

Oh and how I LOVE that song. Mya too. She has every word memorized and we like to belt it out together :)

Charlotte said...

Jordan, Right on. You know how it goes ". . .that they might have joy in their posterity. . ." I've traveled a bit and dreamed some dreams, but nothing compares to the joy of grandchildren. And imagine, there is the possibility of 'greats' and then on and on. . .