Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Two Mothers in One House



There isn't another mother on the face of all the earth that I would be okay with living with me.  Luckily she's my mother, maybe that's why.  But, I think, more than anything, she's easy to live with!

She watches the quarrels and tensions between my children longingly.  Yes, she wishes she had had that as a child.  As the second of six all in a row, I grew up fighting for my right to the last chip in the bag.  Everything seemed to be contention or contest.  We were all so close.  There are only 14 months between my older sister and I.  I can't imagine craving that.  But she does.  She feels she missed out on vital lessons.

Her mother's first husband died of luekemia leaving her with two children to raise.  She married my grandfather who brought four older children to the mix.  Then, they had my mom.  She was a bonus child if there ever was one!  Coddled and babied by the older ones, she never felt the natural friction of familial brothers and sisters.

I've learned things having my parents live with me and witness the raw side of my own mothering and wifery.... but most of those things are fodder for another post, another day.  One thing, though, perhaps the thing that surprised me the most, was that I can disagree with them without the world crashing to an end and all I know and love dissolving into oblivion.  And, I disagree with my mom.

My mother is the peacemaker.  The gentle voice with which she summons my children two and fro is one I often can't manage to muster myself.  Ever willing to help.  The pacifist in a guerilla game of Scum.  The silent, behind-the-scenes PR person for keeping lines between her own children clear and open.  She's a magical mother.

It is too late to wish that my children could grow up like she did, because certainly it contributed to her Olive-Branch-and-Dove ways.  But, they have the uncanny opportunity to grow up (at least for a spell) partly under her wing while she is under our roof.  I love that.  Hopefully a bit will rub off before she flies away.

Today is her birthday.   Love you, Mom.

10 comments:

madsta said...

what a lovely mum you have- I'm at the age where I'll be leaving home in a couple of years and I'm dreading it!- I don't want to live without my mum!
Happy Birthday to your mum :)

Ingrid said...

I love your Mom.

Melissa said...

What a great post! My mom lives with us and it has been very interesting. Having her see our best and worst times has been an adjustment. But, like your mom, she is easy to live with and I wouldn't change it for the world. Now, if my mom could play the ukulele,( i'm guessing on that) then it would be perfect. :)

AnnMarie said...

She's not my mom, but I was privileged to be able to be mothered a little bit by her while we were serving together in Korea. She truly is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. You're definitely blessed to have her. :)

Rebecca said...

Jordan--thank you for seeing the best in me! i love you!!

Sarah said...

I love your mom too!
Happy Birthday Rebecca!

olivia said...

My favorites: "pacifist in a guerilla game of Scum, "behind-the-scenes PR person," and "Olive-Branch-and-Dove ways."

Happy Birthday, Jordan's mother!

sara b said...

Many of her traits you mentioned I see in you, Jo.
How lucky to have her there for a spell.

Happy Birthday Jordan's Mom. I think you are fabulous for providing me with a dear friend!

Kurt Knudsen said...

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman from a wonderful woman.

The Original Mangums said...

How lucky you are! Happy Birthday Becky!