Wednesday, December 01, 2010

'Tis the Season


Here we are, being a family, in our own color coordinated and clumsy way.  The older I get the more I learn it is the only thing really worth being in this wacky and wonderful world.  I'm completely shattered by these people by the end of the day.  I wake daily to the sensation that I've stumbled upon a humming hive of needy bees.  They swarm and sting.  Yet, I'm addicted to the honey.  It is pure and sweet.  It goes on everything and changes flavor according to the season.

We, as a family, are leaving a season know as Babyland.  You know Legoland and how boring it can truly be.  Then there's Disneyland, the magical place.  There's the Playland at a place we try not to mention or patronize which is smelly and inexplicably alluring to the 6 and under set.  None of these Lands compares to Babyland.  Babyland is not boring, but actually keeps you up nights, many many nights.  It is also magical, in a tight-fisted, wrinkly, miraculous sort of way.  Then, there are the diapers and the sippies, both of which can put forth out-of-this world smells leaving you longing for the Exit from such a  pollution-ridden Land.  It is a Land that teaches somehow in a way that no other place or time or book or experience can teach.

I have two dear friends.  Sara and Sarah.  They both gave birth the end of last month.  Sarah had a boy, named Eli.  Sarah had a girl named Ivy.  These are also the names of my Sister Ashley's two children!  I'm completely smitten by them, more than I ever have been by a baby other than my own.  I watch as their parents enter that heady stage of sleep-deprived delirium, that is sweet, in it's own season.  I watch in awe, not envy.  I'm in awe of parents who do the hardest thing.

I know we are leaving this season of Babyland, because of Avery.  Because at 2 years and 7 months, she knows that a diaper doesn't cut it.  She slinks off uncharacteristically to do her business in private and then timidly tiptoes to tell me that "I need to change my diaper, Mom."  I'm a self-professed Anti-Potty Trainer, so I don't complain, but I urge her to try to do this deed in the sanitary confines of the toilet.  She replies,

"But, mom, the sanitary confines of the toilet is so much more work, than...well, wherever I happen to be at the decisive moment."

No.  She does not say that.  She warns, instead (as I clean the mess of my 435,981 diaper) "Don't eat my poopy diaper, Mom!"

As I take Ms. Avery's sound SOUND advice, I offer you mine:

Be a family.  And enjoy every season, even the boring, stinky ones.  Look fondly and wisely on the Lands in which you've lingered, and watch with wonder as the future frontiers unfold.
See where you are, love where you're going.



*photos by AFM Photography

18 comments:

The Original Mangums said...

Lovely, as always! Have a great day in your new sphere of adventure!

The Busch's Hullabaloo said...

Good job little Avery! That's a lot of diapers Jordan, you made me realize that you have had diapers non-stop since Seth was born. You definitely get the Super-Mom award. Hugs and kisses.

merathon said...

true true true. my emery and your avery must be in cahoots-- every time we ask her when she is going to start using the toilet, she says, "tomorrow!" and then slinks off to her corner to do her business...

Sarah said...

Let me just let you in on a future frontier that is fabulous beyond belief. It is called one-of-your-own-offspring-is-old-enough-to-babysit-land. So many things in life are over-marketed and a bit of a disappointment. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Need a gallon of milk? Well, just hop in the car and pick one up! Need a date with the hubs? Well, just order up a movie and a pizza for the kids and scoot out of the house. It's the best of both worlds (beautiful kiddos and a slice of silent time). This is my solemn oath.

The Frat Pack + Me said...

This post is awesome! So very true. As the Mom of now only teens it is hard not to pine for the old days. When we were in babyland I pined for the future. A great reminder to love where you are in this process!

Michelle said...

I am also a proud non potty trainer, I figure if my kids and I can't communicate well then I should wait. It goes by so fast any ways so I agree with all your sentiments of this sweet post!

SoCalGal said...

beautiful!

This is me said...

Cameron gave up diapers and the crib in the same week. Just flat out refused both. It was bitter sweet. I was glad to be done with the hassle but sad to leave Babyland forever. Good luck.

Susannah said...

Thanks for this, I needed it!

buddens said...

your writing is always wonderful, but this post in particular struck me and warmed me. thanks!

Jessica said...

Thanks for writing this. I really needed it!

Jenny Dahl said...

Love every word of this Jordan. We too are leaving babyland behind. Hard call. The absoluteness of some decisions is overwhelming when it's all you can remember ever loving and doing. But sadness is being drowned by the possibilities of what lies ahead and remembering things beyond diapers.

TX Girl said...

I had to come back again today, because I was so smitten yesterday. As always, beautiful words.

olivia said...

these photos!! BEST of the best. are they really all like this? and thanks for a timely Babyland intro.

and i think your sara(h)'s were mixed up...

Rebekah V. said...

letter to the editor:

Everything you say is absolutely true and I love to be reminded of enjoying the land that is my current kingdom. Please make one correction. Disneyland is BLACK magic.

sincerely,
Rebekah "we can go on a vacation without a stroller-land" Vaisey

Tracy said...

Good post, nice pictures.

Ann said...

Loved this, Jord. Very sound advice indeed!

Kemp Kuties said...

Yes, yes, and yes. I loved how you worded it. We were in the IVF process for more babies, but sadly, that road lead to another and now we're done. I kept saying, "next time around I'll do this/be this/say this..." And now I don't have a "next time around." This time is all I've with my littles. And instead of looking to the future, I'm living (relishing really) in today. Thank You Jordan.