Thursday, November 04, 2010

Sunday Dinner Guests






We finally have family close enough to invite for Sunday dinner.  Of course, my parents are shoe-ins since they just have to come out of their bedroom door and they're in the dining room.  But we would invite them even if they didn't live with us.  Then there is my brother and his Olivia and their "Baby Ben in the Oven".  Here they are arriving with cake.   My mom made some of Jim Lahey's bread and I found Dr. Gooch and his girl waiting in the vegetable garden for the dinner bell.  My Dad picked some berries growing by the driveway for the centerpiece.  They were all crazy shades of blue!  Dr. Gooch got a kiss as an appetizer.  He's so lucky.  There were roasted carrots and cauliflower drizzled with orange blossom honey.  We used some pesto on pasta.  A salad of baby greens and radishes from the yard rounded it off.

This is what life is all about, I am reminding myself:  preparing good food, scooching tables together, and sitting down across from ones you love.

Come dine with us!

6 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, what I would give to sit down in your mismatched chairs, the simple elegance of your tablescapes and eat out of your garden. And I would bring whatever your favorite is for dessert. Sigh...

madsta said...

How lovely! there would never be such a civillised affair at our house! doesn't Olivia look lovely with a bump?! congrats to them! :)

The Original Mangums said...

Wish of my heart, to be close! No, it will never be, but a lovely dream! Homesickness setting in at this time of year, time for family, time for sharing. But this year we will have a special brand of family - other couples in our Mission and probably some of the young missionaries too, can't beat that either!

olivia said...

yes, jordan i've been meaning to apologize for not following my initial instinct to make a smaller cake with no nuts. some guest i am! ;)

after that dinner i thought about how lucky we are to enjoy dinners like that with you. SUCH good food; SUCH good company.

(and special thanks to madsta to call me lovely when lovely is the last thing i feel!)

Karen and Brent Stewart Family said...

Thank you so much for having Vhari
and Russ and their daughters to lunch. You and your family have
always been such great examples of people who reach out and share of
themselves. It was fun to see you again when we visited the Macbeths.
Please say hi to your parents for me.
They are missed still.
With sincere appreciation,
Karen Stewart

The Frat Pack + Me said...

This just sounds like perfection!