Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Chicken Check-in


We've got three laying now--of the four hens.  I love when I find them still warm.  The first eggs they lay are really small and get progressively bigger.  I got a huge one the other day with a double yolk.  Twins!  Sometimes they lay too hard (despite Dr. Gooch's efforts to add extra padding in the boxes) and crack the little eggs.  They flock around me when I go out with a scoop of scratch.  They love their scratch (cracked corn).  It is one of Avery's beloved chores.  I love our chickens.  I could sit and watch them all day.  But, then, who would do the laundry?  My mom would.  My Mom lives with me, which is probably even cooler than having chickens.

3 comments:

The Original Mangums said...

They are hens now for sure and so pretty. I never loved our chickens but the eggs were sure good.

kera said...

I so want to try out having chickens....I dont' know what I'm scared of??? I have that door mat by the way.....great minds think alike! :) I would love someone to do my laundry, it's my most dreaded house task!

Melanie Anne said...

I would love to have chickens--my hubby is not so sold on the idea though! Your chics are beautiful birds:) and I too would much rather watch them than do laundry! With 5 boys I have mountains of it!!