Saturday, September 04, 2010

These Boots Were Made for Mothering




I feel like it's been a long time now that I've mothered with a clear head.  Every time I have a moment to catch my breath and actually reflect on the parenting  process, I fall asleep.  Perhaps it is the start of a new school year (and with two of the four away all day) that has squeezed in just enough space to make those breathes come a little easier, but I have reflected and feel I need a mother makeover.  There are days that I hardly recognize myself in myself any more.  It is like I have to step out of my boots into someone else's to really evaluate the environment of our home.  And I've discovered a beautiful place to do that.  

Jane is the mother of eleven! children.  One of her daughters started a blog called Asking Jane.  Mothers write in with questions that plague their minds.  I ask you this question:  is there a question (as a mother) that doesn't plague your mind?  

If I could choose three words to describe Jane's style they would be: calm, loving, and positive.  What?!  That's JUST how I would like to be known as a mother.  I think I have a long way to go, but this letter is a good place to start.  I've added her button on my sidebar for quick reference.

For the first time since April, the air got a little bit crisp tonight.  A reprieve.  I always seem to have these self-improvement urges when the seasons begin to shift.  A tender mercy?  Yes.  Sending happy mothering vibes your way and hoping you're sending some mine.  


6 comments:

Maria said...

Jordan, at times it seems like our lives run as a parallel... I too would like to be known as: calm, loving, and positive. Thank You :) :) :)

Becky said...

Great link! I think we all need encouragement and a good "mommy idol."

And I feel the same way with the change of each season. It always feels like a new start.

Thanks for keeping a great blog!

Ann said...

After RS today, I thought of you and your post. It was from a talk by Sister Beck and she said the single most important skill to learn during this lifetime is personal revelation. There is nothing better than direct divine guidance to help us mother with a "clear head". Love you.

the rutledge's- said...

Jordan- I loved this post. Thanks for sharing. I have been feeling like I need a mothering refresher lately, this is a good start.

Rebecca said...

You are a good mother.

Tracy said...

I agree with the shirt. :-)