Monday, August 30, 2010

Lucy's First Day of Kindergarten


Avery thought we were leaving her behind.


But really...


It is YOU that is leaving US behind.



You told me tonight that, when you grow up, you want to be a doctor, a fisherwoman, a scientist, and a harp player






I would like to add to your list: clothing designer.


Lucy, I will miss the tender you-ness that sweetens this home just enough.  I will miss the many outfits you design a day and parade in through the house (and sometimes to the store).  But, I am comforted by our after school conversation today:

As you sat, finishing the unfinished lunch you packed home, "Lucy, at school, you'll have to just remember to finish your lunch because I won't be there to remind you."

"But, you ARE there, Mom!"

"I am?"

"Yes, you are there in my head.  I can hear in my brain you are saying, 'Lucy, finish your lunch'".

I'm so glad I'm in your head when you're not in my arms.  I love, Lucy.  I love, you.

12 comments:

kelly said...

i never understood parents and back-to-school until i had my own children.

the crying face in the window is killing me dead.

k a t y said...

It makes me so happy that a little part of her wants to be like her Aunt Katy. And this post makes me miss little lisping Lucy.

Kurt Knudsen said...

The cutest kindgergartener in town!

Jessica said...

Ahh, you were in her head! That is sooo cute.

Kris said...

I love the conversation you two had. I'm 28 and my Mom is still in my head. =)

The Original Mangums said...

So Sweet! I love Lucy!

Arbon Family said...

That is so sweet!!!

Panooch said...

Oh my goodness Avery is killing me! That is the cutest picture ever and then Hazel popping up in the last photo. Perfect! Love Lucy's flower dress.

SoCalGal said...

Love that picture of Avery! That is a classic. They are so ready to go to kindergarten, aren't they? I'm just not so ready for them to grow up!

Molly said...

She looks adorable for her first day of K. Ella wants to be a harp player, too! That's why she's taking piano lessons now. 2 years of piano and then she can play the harp. Avery's crying in the window is priceless.

kera said...

Awwww I LOVE the little post school conversation....made me shed a tear. We have a "to be" clothing designer here too......she can turn her momma's scarf into the craziest beautiful dress! Love to watch that creativity! And poor little Avery in the window!

Tracy said...

I LOVE it! Lucy's comment and Avery's face!