Monday, June 07, 2010

Uncommon


I guess it's a pretty common thing.  Broken bones.  Heaven knows my Dr. Gooch sees enough of them.  But the feeling is anything but "common" when one of your flesh and blood breaks the bones whose beginning was inside of you.

I opened the washer door and stopped stuffing the clothes inside it when I heard an uncommon scream upstairs.  I dashed up, Dr. Gooch was (gratefully) home and steps behind me.  He said he knew it was bad when he heard me exclaim,

"Oh, Craig!  Oh Craig!"  Then, I informed him when he arrived on the scene, "She broke her arm!"  As if it wasn't absolutely obvious.  He sort of stood there for what I felt was way to long for the circumstances at hand.

"Well!?  What do we do?"  I asked weirdly because I knew the answer.

Well, we go to the ER, of course.  And we did.  For six hours.

Hazel told everyone the story.  "I jumped off the couch over the rocking horse and I broke my arm."  Yes, yes she did.


But after the morphine began its slow drip into her "blue lines" that drank it up "like little straws" her only concern was the Barbie movie and not moving from my lap.  So we sat and waited for the doctor to come straighten things out.  And, he did.


This was Friday.  We carried her to dinner.  We carried her to bed, too.  Her broken arm had somehow rendered her legs useless.  Saturday morning she discovered she could still walk as she momentarily forgot about her arm and slipped off the bed heading towards the door and pausing to say,

"Mom, I can walk!"

We're still working on eating.  She fears throwing up, since a popsicle offered after she came out of the anesthesia did not stay down.

She has forged onward in her little life, cinching up her underwear, slipping shoes on her feet, balancing paper on her lap and coloring, and relating the story of her fateful dive over the horse.

  Seth lends his shirts to her at bedtime since the bigger sleeves fit over her splint.  Lucy, for the first day followed her around gently leading her here and there constantly reminding her to be careful of her arm.

Hazel has a way of capturing the hearts of those she engages.

It is something uncommon about her that draws them in.



16 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh no! Sorry Hazel! I am so glad Dr. Gooch was home when it all happened.

Kurt Knudsen said...

Can't wait to come and (gently) hug Hazel in a couple of days!

k a t y said...

So, you have some pretty decent excuses for your hiatus. So sorry about Hazel. :(

merathon said...

those are freaky pictures! can't imagine walking in and finding that! (kendall broke her arm when she was almost 3, but you couldn't tell from the outside.) glad her legs and stomach are working again-- hopefully the arm won't be TOO far behind!

Susannah said...

Thinking healing thoughts!

Ann said...

Poor thing. I can't even look at the pictures. And in the summer too....

madsta said...

Poor hazel- when my sister was in the hospital- for 11 days! she didn't eat anything for similar reasons (now she is two stone lighter) but if she did eat she ate things like skips? you guys have those? they're just the crisps(chips maybe you call em?) that you put on your tongue and dissolve, they stayed down- maybe something similar so it doesn't weigh her stomach? good luck :)

rebecca said...

AAHH!!! Poor Hazelnut.

Alyssa said...

I am glad your internet is back! I have missed reading your blog!

Bethany @ Organic Enchilada said...

Um, sadly, I can't tell you how I found your blog because I don't remember. Sorry!

However, I wanted to tell you that these pictures of your sweetie's arm are so awful! Poor thing! I hope she's feeling better.

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

I don't know why but I have tears in my eyes...
So sorry to hear she broke it, but totally amazed that she was so brave!
I think I need to plan a visit out to the Mangums...

Ashley Thalman said...

the poor little darling....
the poor brave mom!

Jennifer said...

So sorry! This very same thing happened to my four year old son, Jackson just a few months ago, except he fell off the monkey bars instead of the couch. But, it's just the same when they monkey around EVERYWHERE! She seems like a trooper!

Shannon said...

Poor Hazel!! That arm looks exactly like my little Jackson's arm two summers ago. It is the same kind of break and cast (his was white though, no pink and purple for my guy). It took a long time to heal. He had to have a second cast. I hope that doesn't happen for Hazel.

kera said...

poor little thing. i am a nurse and that picture still made my stomach do a turn. hope she is feeling ok and will be back to running, jumping, and playing safely!!!

The Original Mangums said...

Sweet little Hazel, the adventuresome one! Get well soon!