Thursday, June 17, 2010

If Progeny were Potatoes

potatoes, red and cream, freshly dug from the CC garden yesterday

We let our guard down with baby Avery.  She's already a month into her twos and we're having some sleep issues.  She's the fourth and she's really cute.  This combination made us temporarily lose our focus and she began to sneak into our bed at night.  She climbs out of the crib, too.  I didn't even realize it was happening.

I planted these potatoes over two months ago.  Then let the rains come and the sun shine until I dug them up in sweaty weather yesterday.  As I piled the spuds and then washed them clean I thought, "Why can't children be like potatoes?"  They would come with these instructions:  plant, then let grow.  

Children are not like potatoes.  Their soft fleshy, vulnerable little bodies require a vigilance like no other.
So I'm retraining Avery.  Letting her cry it out.  In the dark hall between our rooms last night I stood sentinel-like placing our little jack-in-the-box back in her bed.  As I tried to drown out her tearful pleas with my thoughts, I laughed, picturing the potatoes popping out of the ground and spending all day putting them back in until they finally grow big enough to go to college.

I'm glad children are children and potatoes are potatoes.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I had a similar parenting thought the other day. My fourth (and last child) seems to expect a toy/prize every time we go to the store. I so want to indulge him...let him pick something small...mostly because it's easier. I had to give myself a stern talking to. I can't give up parenting him just yet...he's only 9! There were tears. Mostly mine.

Kurt Knudsen said...

The little potatoes and the little kids are both very cute. Too bad raising tots aren't as easy as taters

Rebecca said...

Oh, your dad is good with words, like his daughter. Whoopee for children!

Sarah Katherine said...

You captured the analogy so perfectly! Your thoughts, words, garden and family are an inspiration to me as I raise my own 6 tots. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

Ugh, sleep training. I've always been rotten at it and as a result, my two-almost three-year-olds still get up at night crying, "mommy hold you!" and "drink please!" and "fix my blanket!" I never ignore them!

Susannah said...

Oh, elusive sleep! My son has been a terrible sleeper since the day we brought him home from the hospital. After months of it literally taking 2 or 3 hours to get him to sleep at night, we did the dreaded crying it out. We've had to redo it a number of times as well, after travel and illness. And it's only been the past two weeks that the 9 month old has actually slept through the night! Best to you during that terrible sitting in the hallway time.

will said...

you realize you garden vicariously for those of us bound up in apartments, right? and i do love potatoes.

Ann said...

Good luck!

TX Girl said...

I love the thought of you standing in the hall like a sentinel.

If only kids had such simple and straightforward instructions. But.. what fun would that be?

The Original Mangums said...

Hope Avery is feeling better, such sweet pictures! I got a tickle out of the potatoes popping up; good comparison! Love You and all the Littles, Gooch too!