Monday, May 24, 2010

"Untitled Event"








That's what iphoto labeled this set of pictures taken today.  Yes, that's what it is. An Untitled Event.  A Monday trip to our local pizza shop.  Because it was just me and the kids.  Because at 5:00, I finally made the kitchen sparkle after ignoring it all day.  Because I didn't want to get it dirty again.  Because Monday is Kid's Night starting at 5:30.  Because a slice of pizza is only $1 and the Balloon Man comes to your table and he knows how to make princesses (one with red and one with brown hair) out of three balloons.  Plus, all the root beer you'd ever need to rot those baby teeth right out.  You can hardly call it an event at all, really.

Not much that any of us do really deserves it's own title.  A few things: Birth, Graduation, Wedding, Death.  It's mostly just a string of Mondays and dirty kitchens.  What is it all for?  Why did Dr. Gooch find me and then sweep me clean off my feet to marry me?  Why did we make four perfect children?  Why is it all so hard?  Why do we go to bed only to find another day has slipped through our fingers breaking into a millions tiny pieces?  A little lump of it lodged in our throat, a little in our heart, a tiny amount in the trash, some settling in our stomachs, and more down the drain, bits and pieces piled in prayer, and specks stuck in beads of sweat.  

I know the answer to all these questions.

The Whole Picture.  Faith, Trust, and certainly not pixie dust (though a little of that helps to get the playroom picked up).

For these Four, that's why.  This whole untitled event, my life, will be well spent.

16 comments:

liz canaan roberts said...

yes. and yes. Jordan, your honesty is always so refreshing. thank you for sharing your *voice.

* http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/glossary/g/voice.htm

savannaht123 said...

SO TRUE MAKES ME WANT TO BE MORE THANKFUL FOR MY KIDS EACH DAY THANKS 4 SHARING.

kera said...

so true so true. love this.....

Susannah said...

The "why is it all so hard" really resonated with me. I have the privilege of staying home with (my only) child, and yet some days I struggle to find appreciation for it all. And I know I will want every one of these moments back down the road. Thank you.

Jennifer said...

My favorite post. Love it.

Maria said...

Jordan, so glad you're back! This post hit home, just like most of your post. Thank you for being my pixie dust today :)

Jessica said...

It is the string of Mondays and dirty kitchens that truly make up life--those biggies like birth and marriage and death are critical, of course, but it is in the daily details that we fall so in love with our spouse and our children.

The Original Mangums said...

Thanks Jordan! My Grandchildren are well loved and cared for!

isthis said...

I don't usually leave comments on any blogs, but that was beatiful and i just wanted to let you know. Thanks for writing that! Have a good day!

Laura Lee said...

well said, thanks for reading my mind :)

Megan said...

beautifully said. thank you.

Artfulife said...

Just went through some of your blog posts & you have a lovely way of looking at family life.

Damaris said...

yes. simply, yes.

mandi said...

oh, well, this is just lovely.
thanks for sharing.

btw- you live in my new favorite place- nc is just beautiful!

redmenace said...

Lovely pictures! Simple trips like this are the best. I look forward to this with my little one!

shawna b. said...

A new favorite post by my favorite Jordan.

As always, so beautifully and wonderfully expressed.