Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Digging Deeper






Today was better but yesterday I pulled weeds by the leaves all day.  Never quite digging deep enough inside to get the roots.  The roots are what matter, really.  When you rip off those weed leaves it looks better.  You can provide healthy meals, clean folded clothes, even cushy beds to cozy up in at night, and even take them to pick berries.  These are just leaves.  In the cool, damp earth, the roots are safely tucked, firmly anchored:  soft words, face-to-face smiles, respectability, gentle nudges...roots.  I pulled weeds by the leaves all day and it makes my fingers ache and my head, too, because inside I know I'm going to have to cover the same territory again but this time dig a little deeper.  If I can just get those roots, I can keep the sprouts from getting strangled.   This life'll strangle you if you let it.  

6 comments:

Jessica said...

What did you do with those strawberries? I would much rather spend my day pulling 'leaves' than sitting at a desk in a cubicle every day. Lucky.

k a t y said...

ay-men sista.

Crystalyn said...

please write a book jordan. your thoughts and words are treasures. this is beautiful. not to mention so very, very true.

Ingrid said...

This might just be my favorite post of yours, Ms. Jordan, or just precisely what I needed to read today! Thank you.

kelly said...

beautifully put.

Tasha said...

So true, and yet, we spend so much time on the leaves. So much time on the part that matters little, but looks very good.

You always give me so much to think about.

I'm sick I didn't see you last weekend!