Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Universal Mom


I was thinking today how unfair it is.  Being a mother.  While on the beach with my sister the other week, we two took a dip in the chilly coastal water.  It was, like all dips in the ocean, so invigorating.  I reluctantly turned for the shore.  Only putting in as much effort as the waves, slowly reaching Hazel standing where the water barely licks her feet.  She was much perturbed.

"Mom!  You're NOT a kid! You're supposed to watch US go in the water!"

I am not a kid.  But, I feel like one.

The rascals eat oatmeal in the morning.  Seth likes his with cream and brown sugar stirred in.  Hazel likes her cream and brown sugar unstirred.  Lucy also likes hers unstirred, but hold the cream.  Avery, just shy of two, hasn't formed a strong opinion yet and is happy if hers simply appears like her siblings' around her.  Seth eats his really fast and often asks for an extra splash of milk halfway through.  Hazel's speed depends entirely on the level of distraction at hand.  Lucy is    so o o  s l o w    .   She eats all the brown sugar off then finishes the rest with her itty bitty baby spoon.

From childhood we've know what we like and how we like it.  As kids, that is the most important thing and we want the universe to shift and accommodate accordingly.

That's why I'm not a kid any more.

Because, now I am the Universe.  Their Universe.  And I shift.  And I accommodate.

But, I can still have my breakfast the way I like it.  (I just have to wait a little bit longer).

8 comments:

fromthestecherbush said...

that's a terrific comparison. how true it is. you're doing such a great job w/ your Universe btw. i enjoy reading about it.

Kurt Knudsen said...

I'm impressed you take custom oatmeal orders. Or do you just put the cream and sugar on the table and they pour their own. (Yeah, right!)

The Original Mangums said...

Sounds like a great breakfast; but yours looked yummy!

Tracy said...

I like.

k a t y said...

Such a great universe you're creating for those kiddos.

Ann said...

Once they become the universe, they'll really appreciate you. I sure appreciate Mom and Dad.

madsta said...

that food looks sooooo good! i think your making a good universe though :)

Susannah said...

The "unfair to be a mother" part resonated! Sometimes I wonder if my children will catch on to the fact that I still don't feel like a grown-up....