Saturday, April 24, 2010

Stretchy Heart









One from Florida, one from North Carolina and one from Virginia.  We all spent yesterday morning flying in.  Within five minutes of each other we were hugging our mother at the baggage claim.  There are six of us all together.  My three sisters and my two brothers.  We came to welcome our parents home from Korea where they spent 18 months as missionaries.  We froze our toes on rainy temple grounds then hit a few old favorite spots.

That was yesterday, in Salt Lake City.

This morning, I woke up in Provo.

I spent all of junior high, high school, and college in Provo.  It was always home.  I wheezed (that darn altitude adjustment) my way up the hill for a quick morning run.  I ran up to our old house.  Long sold and landscaped.  All day, until lunch, I didn't run into anyone I knew from those school days.  Everyone seemed so young and unfamiliar everywhere we went.

But despite it all it was easy to feel at home.

In the laughter after Mom's declaration that "Asparagus" (Aquarius) was her astrological sign.  In brother Ben and wife Olivia's news of an imminent move to NC!  Holding sister hands.  Crammed in one bathroom swapping beauty secrets.  Chatter about brother Jacob's date tonight.  Adult only dinners out.  Eli's eyebrow.  The instant comfort of blood-related company.

And in my mother-mind that never rests no matter the miles apart, the five I left at home to tend the garden, the coop, the cottage, and the four mini siblings, made by Dr. Gooch and I, just beginning the journey.

Home IS where the heart is.  And the heart can be in so many places.  That stretchy heart.



*more glimpseys here

15 comments:

Katrina said...

there is nothing like family. makes me excited my mama is coming in 2 days!

rebecca said...

Glorious!!!
So happy for you, J, and for all of your dear family!

Tasha said...

You're so right! The heart can be in so many places! I wish I could have made it down to see you, but your family needed this time. Soon my friend, soon!

Kurt Knudsen said...

Thanks for stretching this way for a weekend! I'm loving it!
Thanks Craig for herding the horde back home!

Shepherd Family ACAL said...

That dessert looks amazing! YUMMY!

Ingrid said...

You always have a way with words. I like that stretchy heart. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL family!

Lizzy said...

So happy your parents are back home Jordan! What a fun reunion! Now that I have seen pictures of all of your family, did your brother serve a mission in Portugal? He looks so familiar! I think my dad might have been his mission President!

shawna b. said...

So happy for you, Jordan. What a beautiful family you have. I bet there's a lot of sad folks in Korea right now, missing your parents. Thank goodness for that stretchy heart. Enjoy soaking up this precious time.

Jessica said...

What a wonderful reunion! I'm so glad you made the trip to Utah.

Jennifer said...

Love the pics you took around the Temple. It is just breath-taking, and I have never even seen it in person.

sara b said...

Oh! This is so great.
What a reunion. So glad they are back safe and sound.
Even gladder (not a word, I know) you could be there for it.

TX Girl said...

Looks heavenly.

Susannah said...

Lovely post, lovely words!

The Original Mangums said...

Great trip! Welcome home Becky and Kurt! Hope we get to leave someday soon! Jordan, so glad you got to spend this wonderful time with your family!

sara said...

Can hardly stand it.... ALL SO GORGEOUS. What a lovely time.