Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Pile of Hair on Fire


Seth is not himself without his Dad around.  (Dr. Gooch is one of the top ten mood-lighteners).  

 I would think this were cute, if it so wasn't cute at all.  He becomes highly irritated with the antics of his antagonists (let's call them Lucy and Hazel).  At breakfast this morning Hazel was pulling her mouth into a Joker-ish grin with her fingers.  Seth could hardly stand it and I had to ask him to leave the room.  I know. 
 He told me I was taking WAY too long to paint the chicken coop and why wasn't I finished yet and I had plenty of time while he was at school to do this but I hadn't done anything.  I began explaining the rain, and how I have no control over....then realized that I was arguing with a self-centered six-year-old (and I mean that in the most endearing sense of the word, if there is an endearing sense of "self-centered"). 
Yesterday, I surprised the rascals with a trip to the movie theater straight from school!  With instructions to pick out YOUR OWN treat box.  This was huge for me.  I, who makes four children split one hot dog and a lemonade with four straws.  He was absolutely distraught, and insisted this was the last thing on earth he wanted to do at that moment and "Just take me home, Mom!!" But, I had already bought the tickets and the girls where jumping with glee.   Then the popcorn (that we didn't get for the movie) at home had NO BUTTER on it.  

Then he stood in shock 'n awe as I pulled out all my hair, piled it on the table where they ate their dinner and lit it on fire.  

Maybe all of us are better off with Dr. Gooch nearby.  Nearer by than 3-hours drive.  

After the girls were safely stowed away, we sat down and did a puzzle of Mickey Mouse kicking a soccer ball.  It was challenging and we were, at least for a moment, united in purposed and mind.  It felt good.  I love these little bits of my boy:

homebody
loves soft things, clothes, blankets (not church shirts)
so smart
debater extraodinaire
enjoys al fresco reading (and dining for that matter)
likes grapefruit
no ketchup please
would rather a meaningful discussion (me answering all his questions)
than a wrestle session on the floor
loves his Dad
loves his Mom, too
does NOT love movies in the theater

6 comments:

madsta said...

he really sounds lovely, i love it when little boys are close to their dads, hoping he's back soon :)

k a t y said...

These are good things to note for his future wife. Or perhaps he'll outgrow a few of them and channel others. Love that lighthouse-lovin-boy.

Natalie said...

maybe he can move to australia?

i love that book, you know the one right? the one that has the title that's too long to type.

i've had those days before.

its not fair we can't be self centered all the time. i hate that!

he'll turn out amazing....watch and see.

Rebecca said...

Oh, Seth and his world of women! Lucky guy.

Ann said...

Sounds like you need a kidless break!

Rebekah V. said...

I have to say I am loving the image of a pile of hair on fire in the forefront and a bald maniacal mom seen through the waves of heat coming off of it. That just about sums up how I feel sometimes with my own lot. I always imagine myself grabbing a jug of orange juice off the table and pouring into my eyes.