Thursday, April 29, 2010

Coop





The Coop is nearly finished.  This was a "from scratch" project entirely manned by the fortitude and brute strength of Dr. Gooch himself.  It has two large doors, one on either side, for easy cleaning access.  The hens have their own skinny ramp entrance as they are not a bird bred for flight abilities.  On the other side is the "laying box" which has a latched door kid-height so the rascals can gather warm fresh eggs (in a month or so).  They have plenty of food and water so we can dash out of town for a fews days and not worry about the survival of our four girls at home.  They know it is their home now and instinctively make their way back (from pooping on the back porch or napping in the sun-warmed grass) on their own.   This is really good, because one could spend a breathless twenty minutes trying to chase chickens to catch and release back into the coop.   Linus, the neighbors' tabby,  is our only worry.  As the hens "free range" around the yard pecking at...everything...he sits and drools head and tail hovering in readied concentration.  We like Linus, but we like our chickies better.  

I still need to paint the trim and add a few more aesthetic details, but all in all, the Coop is finished!  I must say, for a bunch of city kids, I'm proud of us for pulling this off.  It just goes to show...

9 comments:

k a t y said...

I am so impressed with this Dr. Gooch of yours. SO impressed. You can quote me.

PS you're a comedian....fun little comment...indeed...

TX Girl said...

whatever. city folk. puhlease.

adam asked me to stop reading your angle. he can't take the pressure of our future home ala mr and mrs gooch.

NatalieDeltaGam said...

our chicken coop is so so so similiar! http://oldgeorgiahouse.com/?p=1696
we love our chickens. i had them growing up and wanted to make sure my daughter got to experience that too. :-)
(ours are inside a fenced in area...too many hawks, dogs, and cats abound! haha)

Kaedi said...

Love this! I can't wait to see it in person. Maybe when I'm clipping lettuce I'll sneak over and grab a few eggs, too!

madsta said...

that is the cooolest thing ever! I love it, i cant believe you guys made that! i want chicks!

Kurt Knudsen said...

From a former chicken farmer of 25
hens of various makes and models, I salute Craig and his coop and you for your determination to furnish fowls for the family.

Jessica said...

Holy coop! Well done Dr. Gooch! Hey, I meant to tell you that there is a Goochland county in VA!

Rebecca said...

Well, Craig, would you please build our house. I'm serious.

Natalie said...

so fun! i admire this. one day i hope my life takes a turn down a "coutry-girl" path. but for now, the residency paychecks only allots our simple groove we call our routine. no adventures like chickens yet.