Wednesday, March 10, 2010

to respond more emotionally or forcibly than is justified



Being a mother of young children causes me to lose my sense of proportion.  

It is like living over and over the moment or the day or week you fell in love for the first time.  Every thought took up residence, during the hours of those virgin days, in "what's he thinking" and "oh, that mouth", and it was more than you could barely bear not knowing if he caught your affections or whether they were simply slipping through the cracks in the air that existed between you and him.  And would you win him or would you lose him forever?  The agony and ecstasy of it all left you at once exhausted and distracted.  You fell into bed at night with a mind stuffed with too much wonder.  You were full to overflowing and it both pumped and pained your helpless heart.  In the the dichotomous key of emotion, those of a mother to a child share the same genus as these. 


It was a few days after we had celebrated Lucy's birthday. We were in the car going to I-don't-recall-where.  I thought about the preparations I had joyfully made to make the day one set apart just for her.  

I had spent six sticks of butter and a whole dozen eggs to make her vanilla (by request) cupcakes topped with pink (also specified) strawberry meringue buttercream frosting.  Six sticks of butter!  I drove out to the ever ghetto Toys 'R Us and parked next to the other two people braving the weird tunnel entrance and found my way to the back isles to finally find a music box with a dancing ballerina fairy.  I filled it with plastic jewelry and wrapped Lucy's-dream-come-true in a box: yellow paper, purple ribbon, pink wand tucked beneath the bow.  She was delighted with the gift.  But she shunned those cupcakes.  A whole dozen eggs!  The rest of the family still gathered at the table enjoying her birthday "cake".  She refused even the frosting.

The next day, while her sisters napped, I sat on the love seat in her bedroom and watched while she simulated a birthday party for a tiny plastic fairy doll.  Suddenly she slumped back onto her kneeling legs as if she had just remembered something dreadful.  Then tears and sobs began to explain the exasperation. 

"Mom!  I wanted a birthday cake for my birthday and--and--a costume party with lots of friends!  Now it's too late!"

But--but--Lucy, you had cupcakes with pink frosting.  And our family was there!  And you LOVED it.  You did.  You smiled and twirled and even declared it the best day of your life.  I won your heart, didn't I?  I try each day to do this.  For mine is yours already, was already yours secured from the first beat of your own within my womb.  Yours!  Long ago, lock and key, yours!  I want it, that soft sobbing heart of yours.  And not just for myself, but shaped, sharpened, and strengthened for the world you are preparing to face.  

In the car I told Dr. Gooch of the Confession and my subsequent heartache.  I told the tale of how her disappointment was a dagger.  He countered: she's five.  she can't have everything she wants.  you gave her a wonderful birthday celebration.  you're.  over. reacting. 

In so many words.  And he was right.  And I was.  Overreacting.  In so many words.


But, isn't that love?  Not an everyday reaction.  Not a normal run-o-the-mill reaction.  But, one that sends you over.  Over and beyond the realm of sane.  It is to me.  That's what it is to be the mother of young children.  To me.

In Lucy's case (not to mention Hazel's and Avery's) I'm not just making a mountain out of a molehill but a someday mother out of a now maiden.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh mother love! Thanks for this.

k a t y said...

Yes. You are both correct. That is motherhood.

Michelle said...

I've had the exact same thing happen to me after a birthday party I threw for Rose. Everything went so well and then the tears and it wasn't the birthday party she hoped for. It can feel a little like being blind sided by a guy who's breaking up with you. But then we both mature two years later and in the past two years I haven't been blind sided as often with the rises and falls of emotions.

TX Girl said...

Thanks. I really loved this.

I giggled, because Adam would have said the same thing-- those two are made from the same cloth.

xoxo

sara b said...

I'm afraid Mya and Lucy are two of a kind...they have high hopes, even higher expectations and when their minds are made up about something, nothing else will do.

I loved this post, Jo. Especially the part about winning Lucy's heart.
That is it, isn't it? The end all be all. All we want as mother's is to have their hearts.

So we go above and beyond in our efforts and in our actions and in our response to theirs.
I've been there done that too.
I'll be there again, I am sure of it.
Motherhood never ends.

Ann said...

What Lucy doesn't realize (and someday she will) is that she already has the greatest birthday gift--you as her mother. Lucky Lucy!

Alyssa said...

Don't you wish you could read the thoughts running through there innocent sweet minds. Just when you think you went above and beyond there expectations they had a different dream. I just watched the movie Motherhood and loved it. We all do the best we can and hope in the end they will see that.

kera said...

you put into EXACT words what i too have felt many a time with my girls.....am i over reacting? maybe. probably. but i want to.....in their eyes....have hung the moon sun & stars. it does sadden me when i feel that i have disappointed them in some way. thanks for this post.

Rebekah V. said...

Why do my eyes always sting with tears when you describe motherhood? I feel a tightening in my chest when I think of the winning of my childrens' hearts and the volatility of this mother-love reaction. The whole experience seems to be excavating a place inside me big enough to hold it all. I like your idea of this whole process being a sort of adolescence. It really does feel that way.

olivia said...

I should tell me mother she has my heart. In my memory, she always made my day so wonderful. It wasn't until she wasn't around for my birthday that I started to be disappointed about it. But what if, at age 5, I did tell my Mom it wasn't what I wanted? What if Lucy grows to only remember that you made that effort and that she loved her birthdays...