Friday, March 19, 2010

Reassembling My Life

Yesterday we stole the kids away from school.  The day was too beautiful to be cooped up in a classroom. We made our way to a park near downtown Durham.  It has a HUGE slide.  I slipped my camera into my purse to snap some shots.  But I ended up leaving my purse (that cute velvet ruffle one from Darlybird) in the car.  I forgot to lock it--the car--before handing the keys off to Dr. Gooch.

Also stolen (besides the kids from school): the GPS, my purse with wallet and checkbook...and camera!

What a drag.  A huge drag.  I've spent the last few days mostly worrying but also canceling cards, putting fraud alerts out to Equifax, reapplying for license, and changing account numbers.  What a drag.

The kids were most concerned that I wouldn't be able to find my way to their schools, or art class, or the Melessa's house!  I assured them I had memorized those routes and that we'd probably survive without Mr. GPS.

But that wallet?  I've had that wallet since high school--almost 20 years! So plain.  Brown leather single fold.  Simple.   It has been with me through it all, travel abroad, blind dates, college, marriage, four births, several moves, and now this.  I don't even know how to buy a wallet anymore.  How could I ever replace such a faithful companion?

Perhaps the saddest of all is the loss of my camera.  Will we survive here at My Angle without photographic illustration of the rubble of my life?  At least I had my phone.  I'd be truly lost without my phone.

17 comments:

Ann said...

Oh Jordan! I am so sorry! Dad told me in an email today and I've been fuming over here.

k a t y said...

So sorry, Jord. Now you have a legitimate excuse to get another cute purse, a new wallet for new adventures and a fresh driver's license photo. Lemonade?

Crystalyn said...

aw jordan...so lame!!! sorry to hear it. hope everything settles soon and that you can somehow find a new wallet to be with you through the next part of your life. so sad. : (

rebecca said...

Jordan! I am so sorry. I cannot believe this. That wallet... I loved your thin perfect little wallet. Stolen - what a nasty word. I am glad you are all OK and hope that the life reassembling moves swiftly. And a new camera - a must. I will miss your rubble.

madsta said...

thats horrible! when i was in paris in the summer i had just stepped out of the metro to get to my hotel after hours of travelling to the country- i discovred at some point during the crowded journey someone had bust the popper off my bag and stolen my purse, all my euros for the holiday, cards.
EVERYTHING!
i lost my lovely purse, but i promise you it will get easier!
i will miss the pretty photography, your always so creative with it!

Tracy said...

So sorry.

BRENTandROBIN said...

oh no!!!

I feel your pain. That sucks. big time. It sounds as though you are taking all of the right measures to minimize the damage. I would have thought of canceling credit cards, but not the alert to the credit reporting people.

Thinking of you! Love you guys. And the camera....what are we going to do without Jordan pics for the time being?!

Emily said...

Horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Kurt Knudsen said...

We mourn your loss even here in Korea.
Hope you get a camera soon! If you can wait until April, I will send you a turquoise "Qwik-Vu-Thin" clear vinyl Knudsen Distributing Company wallet

Jason Acosta said...

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/116-leather-wallets-accessories

the above is my favorite new place for leather.

Jeni said...

Well, I have a closet full of purses you could pick from...come on over:)

I just feel sick for you...I'm so, so sorry.

SoCalGal said...

Gasp! I'm so sorry!!!

Tasha said...

That completely sucks Jordan! I am so sorry! Just what you needed right now!!!

TX Girl said...

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was a nightmare remembering what was inside my wallet. I too lost my very favorite wallet, although it didn't have the years or mileage. I'm so sorry.

Jessica said...

A VEX on your thief! What a nightmare. Could he/she have not taken the contents of your precious and left the wallet? Shoot. I hope you don't have many more posts filed under 'criminal activity.' Those are not my favorite.

The Original Mangums said...

So sorry! We just got back from Baton Rouge, I had not checked the Blog for a couple of days! Life is hard sometime, and then when you think things can't get much worse, they don't! The sun comes out and the flowers bloom in our lives and all the bad times are just a memories that we grow from! Have a happy day!

Arbon Family said...

I AM SO SORRY! That just happened to me and it is the worst! I AM SO SORRY! On the positive side- I got a new prurse!