Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Family Room Smells Like a Farm

taken by cameraphone this evening, in the family room

I want a dog.  The doctor will go as far as fish.  He asked if I thought we should put in a Koi Pond.  No, I said, unless it is going to be useful.  Like big enough for me to join the oversized fish for a morning swim.  And he refused to get a dog.  Too dirty, to much hassle.  So, when he mentioned he might be able to fashion a rough chicken coop in the backyard (with some lumber he scored from a scrap pile at Lucy's Preschool's construction zone) I had my green light.  The perfect compromise: utilitarian pets. 

On my way home from visiting the LDS temple this morning I stopped at Lowe's to get a hose that could reach the vegetable garden.  There I began asking about chicks and where "a girl could get herself some" and I was directed to Carpenter, NC (which was right on my way home).  I asked the name of the establishment.  "Just the hardware store, miss."


I stopped in Carpenter Farm Supply Co "just to check it out", I told myself.  Daryl, on the phone, was smoking at the register.  I noticed the cozy wooden box of chicks first thing, but let my eyes wander around the interior of this original 1865 structure.  It wasn't just the dust-coated stacks of Chef-Boyardee on the shelves that looked out of place, as I shuffled around on the wood-slat floors in my Sunday Best and black shiny ballet flats.  

Turns out Daryl is a doll.  After describing the locale of our house and the fenced backyard he assured me these Rhode Island Reds would be safe and happy at the Cicada Cottage.  At $3 a pop, I came home smiling to the tune of tiny chirps in the passenger seat.  Really, I couldn't stop, I was so happy.  

The kids are, too.  There are four (chickens).  Lucy and Hazel named theirs Lianna and Ellie.  Seth couldn't think of  a name which is just as well because I can't tell them apart.  I cleaned out a steamer trunk that belonged to my uncle's father (somehow we have it, I don't know) and layed out some bedding, water and feed.  They are now next to the couch where I am sitting, sound asleep in a pulsing pile of feathers.  

I don't mind the smell.  It's nice to have the company, actually, while Dr. Gooch is away saving the day.  Plus, at one-week-old now, they'll be hitting the clover out back for bugs in 3 weeks!  

Fresh eggs anyone?

14 comments:

Kurt Knudsen said...

The best of cluck to you!

abby said...

yes, please.

Jessica said...

Oh, I love chickens! How cute that you could just buy some at the hardware store!

Ann said...

I love their smell, too. How fun!

Susannah said...

Right now I still marvel at anyone with a baby AND a dog...let alone four kids and one (or baby chicks!). Looking forward to some future photos of cooked fresh eggs (they are so good over lentils...or rice...or greens..or anything).

Christine said...

This is so great! Now I'm so curious about the place you bought them from...

Gina said...

Oh my! SO exciting!

merathon said...

oh, wow, jordan! we have some friends with chickens and think it's one of the best purchases they ever made!

and that hardware store was so great-- classic smalltown NC!

k a t y said...

FUN FUN FUN!

We never pass up an old hardware store.

Robin said...

Sounds like you pecked out some good ones for your brood.

Your dad recommended McMurray's Hatchery to me a number of years ago when I was looking to get me a chicken. The only "hatch" was their minimum order number. 25 (plus one free mystery chicken). We lived on some land back then, so we figured 25 was just as good as anything and made the plunge. Never regretted it. Chickens are the best!

kelly said...

sounds so lovely and homey. i hoped for chickens in the backyard this spring and I'm getting a newborn baby instead.

Maybe by the end of the summer we'll get our chicks? Hmmm, I'll have to stay tuned to see how it goes.

Ingrid said...

I love this!

Tasha said...

I'm sojealous! I wish we had enough room for chickens!

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

That is so fun! I always wanted a chicken to which my parents said NO and we actually got a dog (and a cat) but I would have been happy with a little yellow chick. Congrats on the new additions.