Monday, January 18, 2010

Why We Think Four Might Be Enough


freshly dug


oven-ready

I'm posting these photos of the beets I dug from the garden.  Right along with the rest of us, they endured our frosty spell and still had some use left in them.  Tasty use.  Though, I'm the only one here at the Cottage that eats them.  Beets are the only thing Dr. Gooch would rather not eat.  And though my lovely sister-in-law will make hilarious comparisons of me and Dwight Shrute, I still think beets are really yummy, versatile, and so pretty.

But, it isn't beets about which I find myself writing here this Monday morning.  It's about the vomiting.

  We're getting good at it now.  We even have a "vomit routine".  After the initial ejection of the evenings dinner in ones bed, the sheets are removed, larger chunks scraped from soiled linens to sink under hot water.  Then while they wash we set up a makeshift bed next to the bathroom in our room.  Because this decreases the distance for all nighttime travelers to the toilet.  Because, dear reader, it is not just once, but 10 times at least, over the course of the night.  Per child.  Per night.  We have four children.  The third took her turn last night.  They are trained at the first gurgle to head to the loo.

And don't be fooled, this is not a 24-hour "bug".  Avery's debut was three days ago.  She joined us at the kitchen table this morning, and one Cheerio sent her guts reeling.  Poor rascals.

But my hopes and the temperatures are rising.  The sun is out today after a dark stormy sabbath.  We're ready to start tomato and flower seeds inside.  The promise of Spring propels me forward.  But I don't think there'll be beets.  A girl can only eat so many red-root vegetables.  And, can you imagine the mess, if I joined the vomit brigade?


14 comments:

TX Girl said...

I just might vomit myself.

I had the most delicious salad on Saturday night-- beets included. I love a good beet.

Sparklebot said...

Sounds awful. I hope things turn around soon.

I'm with Dr. Gooch on the beets. Ick. But they are beautiful.

Carol said...

I know you are across the country, but there is a bug just like that here as well. My neighbors daughter threw up for 3 1/2 days straight and then had a miraculous turn around. I hope your turn around is coming soon.

Alyssa said...

good luck!

Michelle said...

My last vomit was full of root vegetables- I haven't roasted any since.

Jen said...

Sorry about the vomit. You could try making them take mixing bowls to bed if they can't make it to the toilet.

LJ said...

Okay, your bad week trumps mine. Hands down. I'm sending wellness vibes your way. Oh, and I love roasted beets. Just love them.

rebecca said...

I love beets so much.

I do not love the thought up you conducting the vomit train. Sending good vibes for you of a bland-food day of returning health. Good luck!

Liz Canaan Roberts said...

wouldn't mind helping you consume those lovely beets!

Kurt Knudsen said...

Beautiful beets! Ugly scenario.
Please plant them again. We will come and help harvest and eat beets with you.

Jordan said...

Okay, Dad, you twisted my arm.

Kurt Knudsen said...

oh yeah! I'll bring the TJ balsamic vinegar. (the word verification was liter)

Ann said...

I'll join you in eating those beets!

Feel better soon, rascals!

Molly said...

I do not like beets, but I will watch Dwight Shrute clips with you all week long.
What is it with these viruses? I have counted 5 (FIVE!) different bodily fluids - seeing and dealing with them much more often than I would prefer this past week or so. And yes, the laundry! It totally throws me out of my groove if I ever had such a thing. It's getting ridiculous.