Monday, January 11, 2010

The Day We Put January in a Sugar Cone

I'm trying not to let it but Miss January is getting to me.  She is such a downer since my Thirties.

This is my designated rubble place.  And I'm feeling gritty.

How do you celebrate the day of your birth.  Mine was 32 years ago tomorrow in Pasadena, California.  My Dad then, was attending the Art Institute and my Mom was raising my only-14-months-older-than-me sister, Ashley (who's coming for a visit in February--now, see February has something to offer).  But, January?  January is cold and void of visitors.



Dr. Gooch was so depressed on the couch Friday afternoon because he works his large hands raw to cracking handing out second chances to takers in the ER.   His family of six and the Cicada Cottage plus their Uncle Sam drain the dough so quickly.  All he wants is a Brazilian getaway hut where he can sip Guarana and watch the shadow of his youth in Tim Howard's dives on the field (am I close?).   I baked him a comforting quiche which he ate distracted but satisfied and sent him off with those hands.  Then we piled into the car to fetch brother from first grade.  For the life of me I couldn't bring myself to head back to that couch.  That January couch.




So we drove.  All my life there has always been something about *going somewhere* that made perspective seep back in and crowd out my gloom.  I hadn't taken the camera roadside in a long while and four empty milk bottles clanged in the back of the van.  These two discoveries gave purpose to our wandering.  We made our way past the white beehive boxes, that driveway soldiered with now naked flowering pear trees feigning warmth in the 5pm fire of the setting sun. We arrived at the rocker-lined porch beyond which we would exchange our empty bottles for fresh ice cream in cones for the rascals.



Avery, without her own cone, waddled between siblings sweetly singing, "Bite? Bite?".  They all gladly complied (she has magical magical powers which I would like the secret to harnessing).  The wind was coming fast and sharp over the empty farmland and made us all yell to no one and each other trying to get settled back in the warmth of the van.



On our way home I paused at the crossroad to capture the last of the day's light with my camera.  And, you know, I swear those solemn silos sat on top of that hill like a wise wife and her husband whose children were grown and gone.  They stared me down as if to say "Snap out of it, child!"

I would that there were a place that specialized in fresh perspective.  To this place I would bring my empty January Soul and yell, "Fillerup!  With a cherry on top!"


17 comments:

Kurt Knudsen said...

Yes. January can be cold in more ways than one, BUT YOU were born! WE celebrate it for that!

Gina said...

You're always so graceful with words. Happy Birthday!

Robin said...

I was back to Utah and, coming and going from grandmas, always give nod to your parent's former home (and think of their chickens). Then, at church, the RS bulletin announced your mom's birthday, too. So, you know, two Knudsen's born in January. Double good.

Sparklebot said...

January is a dreary time for me as well.

Jessica said...

January is the longest month for me. It's cold and you can't really go outside very much here.
Happy Birthday tomorrow! I hope you have a great day. :)

S. Schuller said...

Your post was so brilliant and, as usual, well-written. You inspire me. I always light up mentally when I see you've posted. I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow and maybe a homemade cake by the man with cracked hands?

Jen said...

What is it about these birthdays. I just ignore them. I always say-"will celebrate later". I am excellent at procrastination so like so many other things in my life- it never happens. Somehow it makes me feel like it never happened. My husband wishes the same as yours. After grad we left the littles and went to chile. We stayed in a cabina 30 feet from the waves for week for 40$ a night. Bliss. We dream of it often

TX Girl said...

I'm with you on the birthdays, but last year I finally decided- it is going to come so I might as well enjoy it and make it grand.

Loved those bare trees. Stunning photo.

Ingrid said...

Happy Birthday, Jordan. Yes, stunning photography.

Funny thing..I always look forward to January because that's when it all began for our family...this January will mark 10 years for us!!!

Michelle said...

Perfect words for this month. Sometimes you just need to throw caution to the wind and go on your dream trip.

Tracy said...

I actually like January. I like starting fresh with a new year and I especially like the calm it brings after the crazy chaos of the Holidays. Of course (excepting three winters in Provo)I have never lived anywhere where I've run the risk of being snowed in, or where it's too cold to enjoy being outside.

I agree with you on birthdays, though. My last was a real downer...not because I wanted it to be, not because the people around me didn't make it special...just because.

Happy Birthday to you!

Cathy said...

Beautiful photos and beautiful words, thank you for sharing.

shawna b. said...

All right, Jordan. I know I've said it before, but THIS one, this one is my favorite all the posts you've written.

But I suppose I'll likely be saying the same thing again really soon.

I love your words, and I heartily agree with the silo couple on the hill. They are wise. Do snap out of it so that you can enjoy a very happy birthday tomorrow. Three of my favorite gals were born on the 12th - Melissa, Dori, and you.

Sending love and good wises to the Cicada Cottage!

Jessica said...

I had an English professor at BYU refer to January as the "six o'clock in the morning month." Cold and miserable. I am actually enjoying this new year and new month and I don't normally feel so chummy about January but now that Costco sells tubs of Meyer lemons in January, I always look forward to this month! Get thee some lemons!

Melanie Anne said...

Happy Birthday Jordan. I hope it was happy. Loved the post! Your pictures and words are beautiful. You are a bright spot in the world of bloggers!!

Rebekah V. said...

I think Mapleview farms might be the closest to a place that specializes in fresh perspective. At least it is a place to go and you can see that there is something over the horizon. happy birthday!

Lizzy said...

Your photos make me miss NC so much. Thank you for your perspective! Your words are beautiful.