Wednesday, November 04, 2009

My Seed





Pictured above is my landscape guy Mark and his guys grading the soil for Tall Fescue Seed in our front lawn.  We're going for the soccer field look.  [Also pictured is the Goochmobile.  When he takes me on dates we open the sun roof--or moon roof, as it were.]  You can see--or rather--you can't see where the fourth willow oak used to stand.  They successfully made her disappear.  They brought in two loads of mid-grade soil, smoothed out probably a quarter acre and had the seeds scattered, fertilized, and covered in straw in a matter of hours.  It was a peaceful operation and quiet, too.  Enviably so.

In other news, Seth declares each morning that "school is superfluous" (not his words exactly) and asserts his distaste for his education by refusing all of my suggestions for breakfast.  And I don't offer a meager menu.  Hazel shouted, "You're not my mom!", when I put her on "the step" for slamming the swinging door between the breakfast area and the dining area in Avery's face.  Lucy broke down this morning because Seth was being stingy with his Halloween candy which is actually a very large collection of both his and her stash.  They foolishly combined them.  We made hasty plans post-school to re-divide the junk.  As we made the final push this morning to scramble book bags and babes into the car, Avery suddenly had an opinion on footwear and flung herself back when I chose the black leather mary janes with a cute little bee on them--hitting her head on the wood floor.

Nearly a week into November, is it any wonder I still feel witchy?  Such the bad guy.  I don't like being the bad guy, but no one else is up for the position.  Dr. Gooch is the fun guy.

Yesterday, all four rascals and I arrived home after picking up Seth from school.  Avery's diaper had leaked through to her pants and carseat so I set her in a warm bath and began picking up the family room.  I noticed the carpet needed some vacuum love.  After that I went to dry and dress the baby and found she had company: three solid logs beginning to disintegrate in the water.

Dr. Gooch came home with the retort, "You love being a mom!", just in time to catch me sanitizing the tub.  I did what any good mom would do, after such a scene, I fled it with only my shuffle and bottle of water.  As I got in the car, anticipating a nice crisp Autumn run on the trail, I was suddenly transformed from witch to rock star.  The children crowded the driver's side door clambering for me to roll down the window for a kiss.  Tears from Lucy, sobbing that she would miss me "so much".  The cutest little baby wave (you know, the finger squeeze sort) from Avery and loud shouts of "I LOVE YOU!" from the same gal who would disown me as her mother in the near future.

What in the world?  Sometimes I wish raising rascals was more like seeding a lawn.

14 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, that darn opposition! So good...so bad...

k a t y said...

A gen-u-ine Gooch soccer field, though, doesn't that make things a little bit better?

Natasha said...

The Halloween Goblin comes to our house a few days after Oct 31 every year. He takes back all the candy, gobbles it up, and leaves a small toy for each child (Littlest Pet Shop animal, etc.) in its place. Works for us as far as ending all of the fighting over who gets what candy.

Carolyn said...

what a gem your blog is!

But i can't look at it without inducing the following rap song to remain stuck in my head the whole time i read it...."North Carolinaaaa, come on and raise up, take your shirt off and twist it round your head, swing it like a helicoptaaaa!"

Not because i like rap (or even know who sings the song) but because I don't know anyone else in North Carolina, and its is my only frame of reference. Maybe your blog can change that??
...and i can feel less retarded.

Jessica said...

Well, you are constantly forcing me to have a new favorite post! This one was great. I have had to sanitize the tub a few times in the past month alone--never a pleasant job. I hope your jog was awesome!

TX Girl said...

Well now I'm jealous. I have a 12x12 backyard and you have a freaking soccer field in your front yard- what gives? I'll tell you what gives- my husband and his freaking love of cutting people open. (I know I can say that to you and you will laugh and not be annoyed.)

I'm proud of you for not driving off like a maniac after running like the wind to your car.

xoxo

Kurt Knudsen said...

SO SORRY for the kid drama.
SO HAPPY FOR YOUR FUTURE SOD!

Rebecca said...

This blog is funny. Kids just love to keep you going--never a middle ground, right?
PS But love the sod! Can't wait to see the green.

olivia said...

There is NO ONE that could have told that story in a better way.

I love, love, loved this.

*Oddly enough it brought back memories of a similar life I used to lead. I forgot I used to live a life like this. (Except when rascals told me I wasn't their mom, it was sheer truth, and perhaps a good reminder for me). I also didn't experience the movie-star aftermath. Thanks for revealing that good to come!

Jen said...

Never that straight forward. I often find myself chanting,
"calm blue ocean," over and over in my head!

Jesse said...

I loved this post! You are such a greater writer, I just want to keep on reading!

Jesse said...

Sorry I was logged in under Jess- It was me.

michelle said...

Oh, yes. The dads are always the fun ones, and the moms the bad guys! Too funny about your magical rock star transformation.

Anonymous said...

I hate to bring this up, but PLEASE tell me that someone was watching that child in the warm bath. I would be shocked if you left an under-2 in the bathtub without supervision. I would bet money that you would never do that, but by the description of you returning to find three solid logs (after vacuuming and picking up the family room), it doesn't sound like it. Please explain.