Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Mild Obsession

For some it's Spiderman, for some Pokemon, others like 'em with wings like Batman or Buzz Lightyear.  My six-year-old boy likes lighthouses.  He confiscates my "Our State" magazines and cuts out all the tiny pictures of lighthouses.  He peruses lighthouses around the world on the internet.  He looks for them in every store we frequent.  He paints them.  He sketches them.  He talks about them all the time.

Dr. Gooch came home from a shift at the hospital with some stickers for the kids.  He offered his son a strip of Spiderman in various web-throwing poses.  Seth took a look at them and asked, "Do you have any with lighthouses on them?"

Yesterday, I sat between my two boys on the couch reading Peter Spier's Book of Opposites (a favorite from my own childhood) and we cam to the On/Off page where there was a picture of a lighthouse in the daytime (off) and one at night (on).  Seth instantly began monologueing about his favorite sea-side structure.  I interrupted and asked,

"Why do you like lighthouses so much?"

I was expecting the usual, "I don't know" but instead he replied with a shrug and this,

"I just like things that are smooth...and tall with stripes, and that are red and white and black with a light on top!!"



  Lighthouses are WAY better than Spiderman.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

WAY better. Cool kid.

Kurt Knudsen said...

I like Seth's selectivity.

Rebecca said...

Oh, I agree Seth! So much better than Spiderman.

michelle said...

Yep, WAY better!

Ann said...

"Twinkle twinkle little lighthouse" is Seth's version of Twinkle Little Star. He's got great taste.

Dana said...

He sounds like a great kid with a sensitive soul. I have one of those too. :)

Dana

Jessica Womble said...

Lighthouses are better than any superhero I know of. :)

k a t y said...

That Seth. He's one of a kind.

shawna b. said...

It looks like Seth and I share a passion for things that are smooth and tall with stripes and that are red and black and white with a light on top! Lighthouses are the best, huh Seth? You live in the perfect place.

Robin said...

You probably already are familiar with this one - but just in case ... another Peter Spier illustrated book that we like is his "Noah's Ark".