Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Her Colors are Purple and Purple


the Thanksgiving Table ready to be filled-a happy sight

It was like my throat was possessed.  The worst night was Sunday.  I woke up gagging and gasping for air.  At that point I hadn't been able to eat much for three days and was weak and sleep-deprived.  Monday I woke up able to swallow (some scrambled eggs and a yogurt drink from Dr. Gooch).  Relief.  Recovery.  Thank you for prayers and advice--both were weighed heavily, I think.  I never knew I was so grateful for the ability to swallow.  Just in time, right?



Today is a new day and we have Uncle Jacob (who my kids confusedly call Uncle Brenda) staying for the holiday feast.  I loved spending the day "catching up" with my tall, handsome brother.  And tomorrow Aunt Ann and Uncle Brendon (source of confusion) arrive with sweet baby MD.




The kids are excited for the holiday.  Having visitors is supreme in their eyes and Seth likes meat on bones so the prospect of a whole Turkey for dinner (make it really brown, Mom) is heavenly.  I put Jacob to work slicing and peeling roasted chestnuts for the stuffing and de-segmented a load of grapefruit for the traditional grapefruit slush:

Grapefruit segments
pink lemonade concentrate
water
freeze
crush
mix with lemon/lime bubbly
serve in goblets with pizazz


We couldn't hardly peel Hazel off of her Uncle Brenda Jacob and he is now catching some early evening z's to recover from tolerating her antics all day long.



Here's a sweet picture of Seth "starring" in Stone Soup.  I was super bummed to miss it.  Super. Bummed.  He refused to reenact the song and dance in our living room for me.



Oh, and look at that grass!!

11 comments:

Kurt Knudsen said...

LOVE THE PURPLE. LOVE THE JACOB.
LOVE THE GRAPEFRUIT SLUSH.
LOVE THE FACT YOU ARE ALIVE AND PREPARING FOR THANKSGIVING.
LOVE THE GIRLS IN THEIR KERCHIEFS AND SETH IN HIS SMILE AND WHITES.
(You know you are related to THE pilgrim-- William Bradford)
Have a happy one.
I'M THANKFUL!

Tracy said...

Or should we say violet and lilac (with a deep southern accent)?

Love that movie..."Mama, my colors are blush and bashful."

merathon said...

glad you are feeling better in time for houseguests and feasting!

(those piles of skinny little willow oak leaves look way too familiar. . .)

Gina said...

It's all so gorgeous!

sara b said...

So glad to see you are up and moving.
That purple is fantastic.
So is that grass.

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Ashley Thalman said...

Lykke Li eh? Don't you love her!?
I haven't left a comment forever Jordan. I love watching your new home and life develop, happy thanksgiving!

Jessica said...

You really know how to bounce back! Sorry you were so sick but hallelujah for a recovery! The grass looks awesome! So happy Jacob (Brenda) is in town!

Ann said...

I've got our purple plates ready to go!

See you soon!

Ann said...

Oh, and Brendon made some pumpkin pie to add to the feast.

Ingrid said...

LOVE the grass! Enjoy your holiday and guests. So happy that you are well!

Jessica Womble said...

I love how you have the table all ready. I'm jealous about those paperwhites. So pretty.