Monday, October 19, 2009

My Own Personal Sanitarium in The Alps





 As Fall reaches its peak here in the Piedmont, and unusually cold temps give us a taste of winter, I was beginning to miss my Rock Canyon.  The mountains in general, the Rockies in specific, provide the best stage for season shifting.  From my parents' "former" home in the foothills of "Y" mountain in Provo, Utah, she was a only a small stroll up the hill.   We have our own LOVELY version performed Southeastern-style, but it is different and wetter.

I found a remedy.  I prescribed a trip to catch the colors of our own mountains before they faded for another year.  Though not as short a jaunt (a three hour drive) I think the mountains flanking the Blue Ridge Parkway nestled in our Smokies will fill the void, well.  More than well.  I couldn't stop oohing and aahing the whole "squiggly" drive (as Seth termed it).  Vineyards, farmsteads, and Christmas tree farms coated the rolling hills interrupted only by quaint mountain towns and creeks cutting through the countryside.

Grandfather Mountain provided a much needed getaway.  With degrees in the forties, we frolicked with our four, .4 miles up the mountain on a tree-lined trail to the mile-high, swinging bridge.  We were shocked to find snow and ice coating the peak where we crossed said bridge.  On top, a whopping 26 degrees (not to mention the view) took our breath away .  What a view.

I recently finished reading Thomas Mann's  Magic Mountain where the hero travels to visit an ailing cousin at a Sanitarium in the Alps.  He ends up staying--not the three weeks planned--but seven years.  There truly is something "magic" and certainly healing about those places of higher topography.  I think we'll also stick around for awhile.

As we climbed the steps to cross the bridge, Seth said, "This is the best time of my life!!"

9 comments:

The Baker's Goods said...

Sooooper fun! We need transporting abilities so we can enjoy these moments together!

Anonymous said...

What did you think of Magic Mountain?

rebecca said...

Wow - that bridge!
Your photos make me miss snow...

Jordan said...

Anonymous,

It was my second go around delving into the psyche of Herr Castorp-I loved it even better this time. I'm tempted to go out and get my own fur-lined sleeping bag and take my rest cures out on our screened porch.

sara b said...

We wanted to join you but the Mr. was working and we live in Philadelphia now....dang!

We were invited, weren't we?

Tasha said...

Ya'll seem to have the best of all worlds there in NC. I really, really need to come.

Isn't it great when you plan a family outing and its the "best time of their lives"? At the end of each day, at dinner usually, we go around the table doing "high and low" or "best and worst" or "favorite and not favorite" kind of to get the kids to practice identify their emotions, and because its fun. It always just melts my heart when Evie says something like her best was "helping you make dinner" or her worst was "missing Stella at school" You have to take those small installments on this great loan of motherhood and sock them away in the bank because they are interest only, I am afraid.

Jessica said...

What a great get away! Glad you are loving the NC soooo much.

Kurt Knudsen said...

beautiful photography. Fun to think that it will be our home too!

Ingrid said...

Gorgeous! I love that photo of Dr. Gooch and all your goochkins. What a beautiful part of the country!