Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Second Date

last night's photo of victim stunned into submission by the heel of my Cydwoq Sandals that I love

Alex came back. My Bug Guy. Because the bugs came back. First it was one on the steps that Lucy discovered first thing one morning. Then, that night, two or three--it's all a blur of stomping and gasping--in my bedroom. So Alex came back. After he did his thing we showed him what Dr. Gooch suspected were termites infesting one of the Four Oaks out front. Alex confirmed our suspicions and dug at the nest a bit at the base of the tree with his blue-gloved finger. Suddenly a large black ant (a carpenter ant, he taught us) began to crawl toward the termites home, we all watched, then,

"You see that?!" In his endearing Dominican accent, "see how he stopped? Did you see that?Ants and termites are enemies. Ants eat termites!"

Alex glanced up the trunk of the tree and then,

"Look! That wasp and that butterfly! They're having a confrontation! They both want the tree sap." And they were. Obviously thrilled, he confessed, "This is why I got into this business, because you get to see things like this!"

This is why I love my guys. Because I get little glimpses into the lives so different from mine and so loved by the ones living them.

I'm not happy about the returning roaches, but I trust Alex when he promises to wield his exterminating powers. Friday morning, we'll be meeting the tree guy to tackle the termites.

*If you're wondering whether Dr. Gooch has shown any signs of jealousy, the answer is yes. After he went upstairs yesterday to rest from his ordeal, I received this text: there is another woman in bed with me

I stopped what I was doing to investigate and captured the photo below. I'm not too worried. Hazel felt bad for her sick Dad and thought he might want some company--she was apparently to busy to fill that role and offered a stunt double.

11 comments:

Amy W. said...

Seriously Jordan, you are killing me with all these bug pics. I need to be warned before checking in with you.

The Original Mangums said...

Don't forget the COMBAT - purchased at WALMART or like stores. It works, I'm telling you, it works and is a lot cheaper, though not as personable, as Your Guy! They work wonders together though.

HM Baker said...

Jordan, Thank you so much for posting a comment to my blog. It was a wonderful treat! I feel quite the same way about you and hope to become 'better acquainted' over the course of time... Incidentally, I LOVED (hated) your bug story. Also, LOVED (hated) your bug pic. It reminds me of a similar encounter we had this June with a queen-sized roach (http://thesmallbeginnings.blogspot.com/2009/07/it-is-truth-universally-acknowledged.html). You need a bug zapper - miracle of inventions!!! It ALMOST makes husbands seem redundant. :)

Kurt Knudsen said...

creepy crawley!

Nicole said...

Your photo is creepy and cool all in one!Hopefully , your Bug Guy doesn't have to make too many more trips! :o)

Jessica said...

Great, creepy pic! Ugh about the bugs.

k a t y said...

That Hazel is so sensitive.

Michelle said...

We've had 7 sitings of those disgusting roaches, we've had termite trouble which included our guys drilling every 16 inches into the outside of our whole home's parameter, and we have occasional ant sightings- we don't live in a humid climate! I hear your pain.

Jeni said...

Our bug guy just left our house. No roach or termite problems here, but SPIDERS. Oh the spiders. I've only seen one or two Black Widows in my life, and we've seen 5 here in three months! Then we had a trianchela sized monster come in the back door with Aaron a few weeks ago. Ick. We've hardly seen any since our bug guy started coming. 70 bucks every other month is SOOOOOO worth it.

Ann said...

I can see it's gut juice coming out. Gross. But it is fascinating--the balance between bugs. I hope you get them out of your house for good.

sara b said...

i can't stop giggling about craig's text...and then the photo. oh, it is too good.

dang those roaches. they may be the one thing on earth i have serious hateful feelings towards. well, that and eating ice cream with anything but a fork. ;)