Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recessionista

BEFORE

AFTER

I stole the term from Darlybird, but I played the part when setting up our guest room. The only things purchased for this room were the bedside lamps (IKEA) and the owl pillow (Urban Outfitters). Everything else was just around the house and came to life in its "new" home. The dresser (changing table), side tables, and bookcase were all purchased at separate times during the past 6 years at IKEA. They all happened to match. Matchy matchy is not my thing, but it works here somehow. I was trimming a huge Rosemary Bush in the yard and stuck the trimmed twigs in a pitcher and placed it up on the bookcase. It somehow brings height to the otherwise standard 8-foot ceiling.

Lamp on dresser: $5 at Raleigh Flea Market
Painting on the dresser: I did in a college oil painting class
Framed Photos over side tables: Ashley (my sister) originals
Pinned Insect in "shadow box": gift from my brother
Metal Pitcher on dresser: "As Is" @ IKEA
Black Fancy Frame (with Ashley Thalman photo of infant Avery): IKEA

On to the Girls' Room...




6 comments:

Michelle said...

I love what you did Jordan. I love the colors and the simplicity. And so great that you put up something you painted!

Natalie said...

You are too cute, and yes, "super funny" too! I loved reading your past posts. I think it's great how you enjoy the guests at your cottage so much. I love entertaining and housing people as well. But it's not so much fun when we don't even have a room to offer them. Your enthusiasm for guests makes me contemplate an east coast vacay.....

rebecca said...

I love the room - can't wait to test drive it someday!

The Busch's Hullabaloo said...

It looks amazing Jordan! I just love when things come together like that, especially when you just happen to have most everything you already on hand. We can't wait to come visit.

Jen said...

hooray- house pics- they don't disappoint! so cool!

Carin said...

My Google reader recommended your blog to me today. I am putting off my bedtime, and browsed. A lovely-and honest blog. I just posted about painting my home white. Your transformation has strengthened my case! Absolutely wonderful!