Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hope For Everyone

There's a little path that leads from our property line through the ivy to our next door neighbors front lawn. There lives Hope. Blond, skinny Hope with braces and tennis lessons. Thirteen years of a dream come true for my three oldest rascals.

After school she comes skipping over into our front dirt (soon to be lawn), "Hi, Hazel!!" They, especially Hazel, flock to her like pigeons to crackers. She indulges them to no end. She steps carefully and seriously into their make believe world and hangs on each make believe word. She is Hope.
After a long day of first grade drudgery (we're learning that 1st grade is NOT kindergarten)---there is always Hope. After being shooed one to many times by a mother who's hands are tied in laundry folds, dish soap and weed beds--there is always Hope. Hope sprinkles glitter and places little horse figures around your front yard fairy houses while you are away at the beach.

Hope leaves individualized boxes of treasure for you hiding in the Wisteria. Hope has sweetened the deal. I wish there was a Hope for everyone.

There is also hope for my marriage to Dr. Gooch, because this Hope babysits then walks home.

14 comments:

Trainer Momma said...

There is nothing better than a babysitter who lives next door. Sounds like you have a wonderful one!

Melissa said...

I want one!!!!

Rebecca said...

Well, that's all you need--a little Hope in your life!

Kurt Knudsen said...

Hope sounds like a dream come true--for you AND the kids.

amy m said...

She sounds like she was named perfectly. Glad you found her.

I especially love the way Hope is hopeful to you. love a babysitter next door.

rebecca said...

I long for a Hope of my own!

Damaris said...

found you through Nie's blog.
I love this post. I remember having a "Hope" of my own when I was younger and I admired her to no end.

michelle said...

Yes, everyone needs a Hope!

sara b said...

ummmmm, I have no hope.
I want hope.
Can I borrow some of your hope?
PLEEEEEEEASE!

The Original Mangums said...

She is fabulous! After soooo long with out hope of a babysitter; looks like your luck has changed! YEAH!!!

Tasha said...

Looking for one of my own! I'm gla her name isn;t "Demoralized" or "Regret" or something awful. Hope indeed!

TX Girl said...

leave it to Tasha- her comment is hilarious.

I love that you have a little hope. But, what I really love is what you wrote about her. You always write so beautifully.

Tracy said...

It sounds like you stumbled upon a lucky Hope. My siblings and I briefly had a Hope in our lives, except ours didn't live up to her name. Our babysitter up the street named Hope locked my older brother and sister in the bedroom as I cowered in fear behind the chair she sat in while watching T.V. I was only four at the time, but I still remember. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that was her only babysitting gig for us.

Nicole said...

Hope sounds wonderful! Lucky or rather blessed you!
Blessings!