Thursday, August 20, 2009

"She gets all the Guys"



This week, we faced the reality of home ownership: a leaky AC in the basement crawlspace, subsequent MOLD on everything, far too many roach spottings, and faulty phone jacks. I know how to paint a room, hang a painting, and weed a garden. I even know how to scrub off mold (vinegar/water/baking soda solution) and step on a few cucarachas...but I can't make digital waves hang out in space and exterminate colonies of insects.

So, I'm getting guys. So far, we have the network guy from our cell/internet service who fiddled with the faulty phone jacks until the wireless was running for both computes. Then, the AC guy who was sent by our warranty dudes and was kind enough to finagle the work order so that it would be "covered" under our warranty (nice), and yesterday...Alex, our bug guy from the Dominican Republic came to remedy the roach issue.

They all pull up in their respective van/truck, sweaty from the last unsuspecting homeowner whom they rescued from the woes of vents, jacks, and pests. They all love the house. They all make conversation with the unsuspecting rascals who stare with the awe of spotting a "stranger in the house".

Alex: You live on a plantation!!

They comment on how "they don't make 'em like they used to" as they familiarize themselves with the ins and outs of our 56-year-old Cicada Cottage.

Don't get me wrong--my Dr. Gooch is as Mr-fix-it as they come and will forever and eternally be "my man" and my stud-finder will always beep for him, but, a girl's gotta have her "guys" to be a happy homemaker. They all get a bottled beverage for the road--a Tangerine Izzy or a Pellegrino Limonata--and leave wondering how in their world of mountain dew and diet coke did they miss such bliss!!

Alex will be back in three months to check on our creepy crawlies. Maybe then a Virgil's Root Beer or (if I'm feeling spicy) a Reed's Ginger Brew.

13 comments:

k a t y said...

I know, a girls gotta have her guys in the world of homeownership. You're kind to treat them to the best of beverage buffet.

TX Girl said...

Wow- they are getting fancy drinks as you big adieu.

Our family calls them la cucarachas too.

One perk of renting I just call the landlord. But, it does have a downside. My entire house is painted the same color (a butter cream yellowy color)- I'm not allowed to paint.

Kurt Knudsen said...

I'm impressed with the bevy of beverages you purvey to the boys of repair.

Rebecca said...

I will repair your house for drinks like that.

Rebecca said...

But, alas, you do need professionals.

Jessica said...

We too know all about 'guys' and have had the bug guys and plumbing guys on many occasions. Mmmm, Reed's ginger brew...

Ann said...

Oh, so sad. I am so excited to see your cc in person!

Elizabeth said...

I have yet to find my Limonata's in Hawaii yet. I might need to ship them in!

sara b said...

Dang those roaches. Hate 'em. just hate 'em.

I would exterminate for a Virgil's. I loooove Virgil's.

Glad you got your guys.
Glad you also have the Stallion.

Tasha said...

Yes, a girl's gotta have her guys! Dr. Gooch trumps all, but he's got better things to do with his time than stopm roaches!

Jennifer said...

I got a hit on my blog out of Birmingham, Alabama from a google search titled "What does My Angle of Repose mean?" I thought that was kind of funny.

Too bad about the not so fun stuff of owning a home. Thanks goodness for all the "guys" out there.

michelle said...

Yes, home ownership does occasionally have its down sides. But you do live on a plantation! And the colors in that photo are stunning.

olivia said...

Oh! Please ask Alex "Que lo Que" or "Dame luz!" from a fellow Dominican. I wish I could be there in 3 months too. Glad you're getting things fixed.