Thursday, August 27, 2009

The second oldest lighthouse in North Carolina, this short (only 75 feet tall) white beaut was built in 1822 during the days of piracy, exploration, and heavy trade on this little inlet. She still shines today--a light that can be seen for 14 miles. She is tucked in an off-path residential nook in the quaint village of Okrakoke.

After our "tour", we snacked on fresh blue fish sandwiches and missed our ferry South...thus taking the long way back home where we pulled up to the Cottage at the stroke of midnight just after the rascals turned into little sleeping mice and my rear turned into jell-o.

So worth it.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

What is it about lighthouses that is so wonderful? Maybe the symbolism of showing the way.

Kurt Knudsen said...

mice and jello--an interesting combo.

k a t y said...

I loved this.

Amber said...

I love this commentary! My parents just informed me they're hoping to book a vacation home for the entire family in the Outer Banks. I'll stay tuned for your great details!

Shawna B. said...

Soooo worth it. Is there anything better than a lighthouse?