Monday, July 06, 2009

Blue Couches and Puppy Dogs


It's no small task to take down a house, tote it across town, and put it back up again in different order. I stood on chairs in the rental kitchen today to pull down Seth's long strips of cutout train drawings that had kept us company at every meal for the past several months. I had already stripped the fridge-front of magnets. Like the bowl-of-green-jello magnet from the Salt Lake Olympics and the retro housewife-washing-dishes magnet that says "If by 'happy', you mean, trapped with no means of escape...then, yes, I'm happy!" from bosom buddy, Sara B. I filled up several boxes of cook books and wondered, as I perused the titles, why had I unpacked these in the first place when they haven't been cracked open even for company. Then, I threw out used nipples (of the baby bottle sort), found the long-lost glue gun, and began wondering, again, is all of this stuff necessary? Like, our couches. I hate our couches. But Dr. Gooch insists we need something to sit on until he can afford to buy couches that I don't hate. His insistence persists, even against my pleas to put the puffy eyesores on Craig's List. There are two things Dr. Gooch won't budge on (and only two): keeping ugly blue overstuffed couches and not getting a dog. What can I do? I'm in love.

Maybe this move will turn over a new leaf on our tree of stuff. A grand purge will occur and we will make it all do without the dribble of accumulation.

So, finally, all the rascals were tuckered and tucked and I pondered all the above. Then ate something out of the freezer and sipped a lemonade brought to me by the Dr. himself and pulled up to my second love (Mr. Mac) to find a new bathing suit online and something to hold all my headbands.

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Only TWO things and two completely reasonable ones and he brings you refreshing drinks? You are one lucky (blessed) gal.

Jeni said...

Oh man. I agree 100% on the dog issue. All they're good for is destroying property.

This is me said...

I feel the same way about cookbooks. We have tons and we never, ever use any of them. All the good recipes we have memorized or else we just eat sandwiches or cold cereal. Really, what's the point?

Good luck with the move!

Ingrid said...

You are blessed. Have you still gone by the rule that you never have cooked the same thing twice for dinner? I have always been amazed by your culinary gifts!

Rebecca said...

Moving is a great metaphor of life, or at least something meaningful. Glad you kept your used nipples.

Kurt Knudsen said...

love your fridge magnets. LOVE YOU!

Rebecca said...

And cookbooks are like good novels--be careful what you throw out.

k a t y said...

I just use a medium size vase to store all my headbands. Works great and keeps the pretties pretty!

betsy said...

i feel the same way about our couch, seriously it really needs to go. but brendan won't budge on that quite yet.
i tell the kids we will get a dog when everyone in the family is potty trained. i would like one to eat the crumbs off our kitchen floors. i hate sweeping multiple times a day.

Michelle said...

You would think it would be easy to move a short distance but it's not. Moving is moving and packing is still packing. I just feel like throwing everything in garbage bags and doing 50 car loads! I hear you on the new furniture- we have to wait or at least purchase something once every month so we don't sicken ourselves. I seriously look forward to your posts from your new house, it will get me through the last of our renovations till I can set up my own home.

S. Schuller said...

You're getting a new swimsuit?!? I LOVED the black and white polka dot one that you wore in your other posts. In fact, I got a black and white polka dot one this year, inspired by YOU!

Jordan said...

We swim so often that i think I need another to switch out in between washings! I know, "need" is all relative. I was being ironic in this post.

Tracy said...

I'm glad Craig is standing his ground on the dog.

Didn't he surprise you with one of those blue couches in NOLA? I thought you'd had your eye on it for a while.

Good luck with the move. I just went through one myself. A lot of stress and no fun indeed.

Jordan said...

The couches were found at a "going out of business" sale at that furniture store on Metairie Road...it was a rash purchase.