Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Afternoon


Ice cream is melting way to fast for comfort this week. Our realtor told us today she will write a children's book. It will be based on the experience of buying a home from the perspective of four small children. It will be called "Lucy Buys A House". Dr. Gooch and I saved a squirrel from drowning in the inflatable pool on the back deck of the rental during breakfast this morning. He just wanted a drink. He swam and swam. I thought for sure he'd puncture a hole in the side with those sharp little paws. He finally climbed out on the back of our folded up folding table and scurried, skinny and wet, up the nearest tree. We pulled all the kids out of bed this morning. Dr. Gooch gave them each a bowl of cut up fruit and we buckled them in the van and drove to The Cottage to smell it. It smells better. So we have a few rooms to paint but we're going to move into it in about 3 weeks. Tell me that that is enough time to pack up a whole house and a whole family of six. It's really humid today, Mom. We have four holidays sneaking up on us: father's day, summer solstice, Seth's sixth, and Independence Day. I hope I can muster up enough celebratory cells in my body to get through all four. I've packed four boxes so far. We've got to use up that bag of broccoli in the fridge. My yellow pepper plant is flowering. I am sad to miss its harvest and am plotting a middle of the night siege on the rental after we move to pick a pepper or two. Hazel is on her third day of pooping in the toilet. There is only one more diapered derriere to go. I hope my sister's family in Florida comes up to visit this summer. My Dad would have let that squirrel drown. He is a true gardener. We spotted tomatoes ripening at the Cottage this morning. There was also a wasp in the dining room. With the death of analog television went our TV set. Right now it is quiet time at the Gooch's house. The Doctor's on the couch and the laundry's in a pile. It feels just like summer in full swing.

5 comments:

michelle said...

That photo is phenomenal! As is your banner -- those greens!

Rebecca said...

Not only would the squirrel have met it's demise, but I would dig up the pepper plant and move it with the rest of the goods!

Rebecca said...

I knew it. It is really humid. Oh well. Love your visions of summer and good luck with the packing!

Rebecca said...

the first rebecca is kwk.

Jessica said...

I like the cadence of this post--roast the broccoli! You are a good celebrator.