Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ring For Service (or Sanity)

I am not a stellar parent. A good parent, and sometimes just okay. I love my kids. But I don't feel I have a handle on the whole concept...yet. But, we, Dr. Gooch and myself, have implemented a few really stellar ideas into our PP (parenting philosophy).

One: the immediate establishment of the early bedtime. Someday our kids will dominate our evenings with their own social calendars. The house will be full of pimply peers making messes of the kitchen and leaving out the milk jug overnight. No more will the Dr. and I be the masters of our domain. Until that day arrives, we capitalize on the opportunity to lengthen our evenings "sans les enfants". Of course, there is the added and crucial benefit of well rested kids.

Two: the recently instituted "dinner bell". It was a couple bucks at a local boutique, I thought it would be fun to have around. Then, on a whim, I told the rascals that when they hear the clear chime of the bell, they are to think "Come and eat". And lo and behold, they could be scattered in the furthest corner of the furthest room on the furthest floor of the house and they somehow hear the ring produced effortlessly from a few taps of my finger in the kitchen. A situation unthinkable back in the day when my mere bellowing voice went easily unheeded.

Now, to work on that ever elusive principal of parenting: patience. The Easy Bell and the Early Bed are helping in that department. By small means.

*Do share your strokes of genius you've gathered along the road of rearing rascals. With my mere two, I'm in dire need.

11 comments:

Ann said...

Amen to early bedtime! MD went to sleep at 7pm last night and woke at 7am--heaven.

Genuis "Easy Bell" I say!

But sorry, I don't agree with your thinking you are only a good parent, YOU ARE STELLAR. I have spent an entire week with you and your goochkins so I feel I have some authority in that opinion.

TX Girl said...

I'm with Ann. I'm always perplexed when you say you aren't a stellar parent, really?

I'm so in love with the dinner bell idea, I'm going to institute that little baby in my house. I wish I could get earlier bedtimes.

Gina said...

LOVE early bedtimes and our 1-year-old dinner bell is still ringing true for us. LOVE it especially in our new house...with a little ding-a-ling and the munchkins come running.

k a t y said...

The bell is genius. I whistle with a blade of grass between my thumbs to call them in from outside. But, dinner? That's great.

The longer I'm a parent, the more at loss I feel as how to parent. Sometimes it's like I'm flailing about in a rapid whirlpool, trying to keep air going in and out of my lungs.

Ingrid said...

Love the bell! My parents used a cowbell and it worked wonders rounding us up!

Rebecca said...

Do you remember our train whistle? I never give parental advice. Well, at least, I shouldnt.

Kurt Knudsen said...

A good parent is a GOOD parent.
God said, "it is good" after creating the EARTH!
You are a GOOD parent!

Jessica said...

I love you as a parent--you have peace and a sense of humor, both of which make the difficult moments manageable.

I agree with Katy--the older the baby babes get the more challenging motherhood becomes but also the more wonderful and beautiful (but I love, love, love baby babes).

Tracy said...

I second the necessity of Early Bed!

Tasha said...

Well Jordan, anyone who parents with such heart and soul, they ARE stellar parents. I have to disagree with you. Love your guts!

michelle said...

I wish I had some great advice. I feel like everytime I start to get a handle on parenting, everything changes. It's different for every child, and every stage. Exhausting!

My sister-in-law owns a Little Gym and reads a lot of child development books. She swears by The Self-Esteem Trap and so I'll be checking that one out...