Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What Color Will Her Bandaid Be?

Only Avery needed a check up, but all of us were there. She has reached the momentous milestone of 12 months. A whole year in this family on this earth and putting up with those other two. Avery checked out as expected. She's on the "Lucy plan": long and lean. 10th percentile for weight, 90th for height. Motor and verbal skills measured top in the nation. We were, all three of her onlookers, proud as could be. But at the end of the visit, Avery laid down for her triple dose of needle sticks and the look in her eye once those alcohol swabs met flesh told me she was savvy to what was about to follow. Sure enough, her legs turned rock hard as she braced her little lean frame for the worst. It wasn't all that bad. As I comforted the afflicted, I looked down at her sisters. They tilted their heads in true empathy for their sweet Avis and we left with stickers as parting favors.
It was red with Hello Kitty.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

I could just feel the pain of poor Avery as you described the shots! She is a cutie, that is for sure!

Shawna B. said...

The picture of the sisters is my favorite. Your girls are so fortunate to have each other. I have three sisters - a most beautiful blessing.

merathon said...

i hate watching the shots! love the dress on lucy-- where'd ya get it?

Jessica said...

I hate shots, yuck. Wonderful, rich photos! Also, loving the Yo Yo Ma Edgar Meyers tune, it's one of my faves.

Jordan said...

Merathon, all of the girls' sundresses here are from the Target!

Anonymous said...

Priceless photos. Yay for Avery long and lean. TJones (BJ's mom)

Ann said...

Oh poor Aves. Glad she has empathetic sisters...glad I do too!

Michelle said...

We are lucky to have Target, their summer dresses just can't be beat. Rose has unfortunately grown out of the little kids section and it's too bad because they have some really sweet dresses this summer- then again I guess a tunic with jeans could be good too. What happened to your baby? Avery looks so big so beautiful.

jayniemoon said...

Great pictures! When my Hazel got her Kindergarten shots, I was holding her down and helping her--all the while Parley was behind the nurse hitting her while she gave the shots because she was hurting his sister! Aren't siblings the best?

Jenny Dahl said...

So sweet those sympathetic sisters. My Avery is on the Kyla plan-short, really short and lean. And the weigh in's have begun again.