Monday, May 11, 2009

Running Home







I keep coming back for more. Not as much as I'd like because training is long and involved. But, there is something about long distance races that keep me coming back. This one was in the furniture capital of the world, High Point, North Carolina. The run was great. The weather was overcast. The people were friendly. I finished strong--just over two hours to run the 13.1-mile course.


But, I don't think it is those details and the obvious thrill of racing, but the more subtle "type and shadow" that I've found in it. The metaphor is obvious, too, and I won't hash it all out for you here. After logging hours and hours of training for this day--race day, when at the end of the course you have your people waiting for your arrival, it is a special sort of "rewarding". You've physically exhausted yourself which seems to cleanse and reawaken your mental self. In preparation for a welcome reunion.


My breath was literally taken away as I choked down the emotion of it. Lucy joined me to cross the finish and came away with her own medal. Sweet.


She says, "Mom, we won the race!!"


15 comments:

kt said...

It's that .1 that gets ya.
Bien fait, ma soeur!

Ann said...

Is that first shot when you saw them for the first time? I love the expression on your face.

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful accomplishment. Congrats!

Ann said...

Awesome. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Jordan what a great accomplishment. We are training for the Disney Marathon for two Christmas' from now. The one for this Christmas is already booked. We meaning (Kevin, Karlie and Katie Jones). I am going to do whatever walks there are. Yay, Lucy. Congratulations. Tina (gma Jones to Mary Deane)

S. Schuller said...

Nice job! I love the shots of you running with your arms out and holding hands to the finish line, and of course the happy family all together. Nice job. You inspire me in so many ways.

Kurt Knudsen said...

You Go Girl!

Rebecca said...

You are amazing!

Ashley Thalman said...

Go Jordan! I haven't commented in far far too long....Congratulations on the run.

merathon said...

i love racing too-- you put it into words beautifully. i love the shot of you with your arms out stretched. running as a family is the best-- someday i want to run a race with all my kids and hubby too!

Michelle said...

Good job! I always imagine my family at the finish line even when I'm training, it's that mental picture that keeps me moving and when I have seen my family at the end it is just as you said.

Shawna B. said...

Lucy's right - you DID win the race! I know exactly what you mean about those distance runs. They are good for the soul. SO proud of you, Jordan. May I join you next time? Oh, I miss running! You look fantastic!

Suzanne said...

You look fresh as a daisy. Congrats on a great run.

amy m said...

congrats! My race is in a month and out of town. I've talked my husband into coming with me because I really want him at the end of the race. I think it is what will keep me going 13 miles.

Jessica said...

Look at those cute skinny legs! Congrats on a strong finish with such a lovely partner.