Thursday, May 21, 2009

Family

"The Hostess With The Mostest (patience)--worn out--with good reason."





"Checked Off Nana Gooch's Bucket List: A Trolley Ride Through Town"




"The Utah Goochies and Their Glamour Girls (and some weird bald guy in the background)"





Dr. Gooch, Two Brothers, and Their Father Who Could Leave the Lot of Them in the Dust"




"A Sweaty wait for Sugary Beignets"





"The Siblings' Offspring at Sal's Sipping Sno-Balls"

"Oil Is Dumb, and So Is Waiting For A Trolley Ride Back Home With Seven Tired Kids Under the Age of Six" (ps We aren't related to "Oil is Dumb" with ipod Dude)





One of my favorite parts of gathering with family is that my children are cared for and learn at the feet of other people I love. Heaven knows, the Goochkins could use a fresh perspective. It is what family is about--bearing one another's burdens, sharing in triumphs, celebrating good news, and also commiserating the blows of this life and the challenge of family itself. Dr. Gooch's side of our grand "family" excels at this. Ever-ready with a hug or a pat on the back (or head, in Uncle Scoty's case). The only thing we miss when gathering with the extended Gooch clan is...sleep. A bunch of night owls, I tell ya! We're missing them hard, already (but not the morning after grog).


PS Also sorely missed? The Ohio Goochies!

10 comments:

Ann said...

Looks like a blast...love the photos.

Dee said...

I just LOVE your picks in the play list. Excellent taste! You do have a beautiful family too. Have a great day....

Tracy said...

Oh, how fun! This so makes me want to go back for a visit to NOLA! I have actually been wanting for a while to go back in conjunction with the Mardi Gras Marathon. What a great excuse for a return visit...but every year I've checked it's been held on a Sunday. A Saturday one of these times, please!

Jenny Dahl said...

Sals! Its still there. It was always one of my favorites. Can't wait to plan a trip back there too! Hoping for the fall when BYU meets up with Tulane! You in?

Kurt Knudsen said...

a sweaty wait is almost worth a wait for beignets.

The Original Mangums said...

It was fun, it was exhausting, it was wonderful to see a son graduate, it was all n all a most awesome visit! Meet you there again next week!?!? Love & miss you terribly!

Panooch said...

Too bad there was no relation, I thought oil is dumb was cute.

BRENTandROBIN said...

Good Times! We miss you guys already...

Jessica said...

I love family and cousin time! Looks like you had the best of it all.

Natalie said...

Ahh...I miss that city right now. Thanks for sharing your trip with me. Sometimes I long for that place more than I should. Not that I want to move back, but that I want to rewind.