Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pansies and Peppers Peacefully Paired














My flowerbed out front of the rental is getting crowded. But the pansies seem much happier with veggies for company. I soaked the beans over night because I want fresh blanched green ones come late July to go in a salad with feta and oranges. I dug up the tulips (blooms long ago faded and petals dropped) mostly to make room for the beans, but also because I didn't know what else to do with them (my garden go-to guy is in Seoul). I poked the holes and Lucy dropped the beans in. After about ten she sighed, "this is wearing me out." It was pretty sweaty out.

I hope we can harvest our bounty, but if the pickings go to the next tenant, I'll be happy to start over in my own soil. And if we are still here, and the plants don't produce, we'll always have the clover to pick.

9 comments:

Ann said...

Impresivo mi hermana!

Kurt Knudsen said...

I'm flabbergassed! to quote a favorite

Rebecca said...

So beautiful. I am so impressed! Seoul is FULL of concrete. Your dad planted two tomato plants, a pepper and squash and put them on our little ledge.

Katy said...

Yes, always the Clover.

Glad you're not waiting until the soil is your own debt.

Katy said...

PS Is that cabbage I see? I'm posting my growing delights tomorrow.

Jordan said...

Yes, you see cabbage, even through those marble eyes. Can't wait to view your veggies.

Once you've planted, you must always plant--right, Dad?

Jessica said...

Lovely!

Tracy said...

I love the third pic and the last one. The vibrant blue of the pansies is electrifying, and the last picture is truly a piece of art.

Kurt Knudsen said...

Once a planter, always a planter, always, always, again and again.