Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Have it ready, waiting for me."



Seth likes to have things just so. In our bedtime banter, he's begun to request that I prepare his breakfast ahead so that when he gets up (because he is always the first to wake) it is waiting for him at the table. So far he's only requested cereal. The first night he ordered Honey Nut Cheerios and feared that by morning the cereal would be soggy. I resolved his concern by suggesting that I have a cup of milk in the fridge that he could pour over his cereal. The next night he wanted plain Cheerios so he then suggested to me that I put a spoon full of sugar in the fridge next to the milk. I then counter-suggested that I just put some sugar in a little bowl next to the cereal. He agreed.



I am thrilled to do these little things for my sweet Seth. He is five going on six in June. If he were 16 going on 17, I would maybe not be so thrilled, but probably I would still be. He doesn't really ask much of me these days. So, I'm happy to add a little cereal setup to my nightly routine. Although, I'm not sure how pancakes would taste having sat, cold and alone at the table all night long. Especially if they were pre-buttered and pre-syruped.




Bonus quiz for Mom: which two Julie Andrews tunes did this post inspire you to sing?

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Of course! "Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down!" AND "I am 16 going on 17...." Do I win a prize? Like my breakfast set out for me?

Ann said...

Lucky Seth, and what a mom!

Katy said...

So does he just get up and quietly eat, letting you get a couple extra minutes of sleep?

sara b said...

This is brilliant! I just may get a few more minutes of shut eye. I know that is not the point here, but that is what came to mind....sad, I know.

Jessica said...

Very practical of Seth. No messing around with the business of breakfast. My co-worker grew up disliking normal breakfast foods so her working mom would set the timer on the oven and have potato baked and ready to eat by the time she woke up. Moms, they are the greatest.

Anonymous said...

I did this for my older sweeties and I got a few more minutes of shut eye. They are worth it and you are a fantastic mom. Your writing inspires me daily. Tina (Ann's mom in law)

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet little guy you have.