Monday, March 09, 2009

A Marathoner's Lunch




Two Sesame Rye Ryvita crackers spread with Tahini Hummus and sliced, salted, and peppered tomatoes. Drizzle with good olive oil and enjoy with a tall glass of water (or if you don't have a Dr. Gooch of your own, a cup of milk should suffice).
Besides all the running, I can always tell when I'm training for a marathon (don't let me fool you, I've only done this once before). When I first get out of bed after a night's sleep my feet tingle. I have more energy, my complexion improves, and my appetite increases. My time becomes hyper managed because it takes several hours out of my days to fit in the runs I need during the week. My mind is clearer, the house seems cleaner, and I swear the kids are cuter. Dr. Gooch is definitely sexier and I can glimpse World Peace on the horizon.
And now that the weather is GORGEOUS, there's really no limit to the benefits of training.

15 comments:

Katy said...

Good for you! Which one are you going to run? And when?

Anne said...

That lunch looks delicious! Don't you just love marathon training? It's the best!

I spent the weekend in your lovely state, it was so gorgeous! Lucky you to be able to go out and enjoy it on foot for several hours a week.

Suzanne said...

Way to go, Jordan! I'm running a half marathon on the day of your full. I wish you safe training!

Jeni said...

Is your plate sitting on the floor in the second shot?:)

Jessica said...

No wonder there is such a huge size difference between us! Your lunch looks like my snack. I'm glad you are loving and finding multiple benefits from m-thon training.

Ann said...

I'm training for a 10K right now, but one day....maybe.... Good for you.

Kurt Knudsen said...

Delicious looking lunch. Your mom made her own tahini(ground her own sesames) and hummus from dried garbanzos last week. It was GOOD!
If marathon training does all that I'm definitely going to start!

Ann said...

Ditto to dad's last sentence! Wish I could join you.

Rebecca said...

Really, to your dad's last statement! I just want your food, forget the running. M

Amy said...

Man. I'd have to double that lunch!

mary elizabeth said...

this looks simply delicious! i must remember this for when i start running again!

Tracy said...

Which marathon are you running? I'll be running a marathon myself in May. Except I don't quite get all of the same benefits from training as you, apparently. The tingly feet, yes.

I never can quite find the time to make delectable lunches (as above) for myself...I need to learn from you and be more conscious about about what exactly I'm eating between breakfast and dinner.

amy m said...

That looks so delicious to me right now. I am training for a 1/2 marathon and I can already see what you mean about having more energy and feeling better about life.

Do you have a GPS? How do you know how far you've gone?

Kristin said...

No one has ever made physical torture seem so enticing. I read this post yesterday and forced everyone out for an evening walk. Perhaps, I need to pick up the pace and increase the mileage before my time management will improve.

sara b said...

It is so good for the soul isn't it jordan....running and training for marathons. It is empowering and addicting. Hoping to squeeze in a training run with you as my partner while we are visiting next week....cannot wait! Happy running trails!